Cornbread is a perfect complement to soups and stews. The recipes for it are as widely varied as the people who enjoy it. Our Favorite Sweet Cornbread is just what you’d expect, a sweet version. However, it is the most moist and tender cornbread I have ever eaten. Wrapped and stored in the fridge, it has stayed moist and delicious for four days. A simple warm in the microwave makes it “out of the oven” scrumptious.
The Right Ingredients for Favorite Sweet Cornbread
This is my husband’s absolute favorite cornbread. The recipe is over-the-top good! If you substitute ingredients, though, I can’t guarantee the same lovely results or texture. Butter fat from both the butter and the cream are the secret to the tender, moist crumb.
My guess is that well-drained, canned corn would probably work, but I prefer the flavor and texture of frozen. I didn’t even thaw it when I was creating the recipe, so I continue to just pour it in frozen. If fresh corn is available to you, that would probably work as well.
For Favorite Sweet Cornbread, you’ll need: flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, melted butter, eggs, cream and frozen corn. Combined, they create what I think may well be the best cornbread you’ve ever had.
Mixing Up Favorite Sweet Cornbread
The mix-up on this yummy cornbread is pretty basic. Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk them together. In a microwave-safe dish, melt the butter. Stir the cream into the melted butter and whisk to combine. Then add the eggs to the butter and cream and whip them together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until they are combined. Stir in the frozen corn. Pour into a greased pan and bake. How’s that for super simple? 5-10 minutes of prep-time and time to get the rest of your meal ready while it bakes. Outstanding!Print
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Stir the cream into the melted butter.
- Add eggs to butter and cream mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to stir just until everything is combined. Don’t overmix.
- Add the frozen corn and stir to distribute throughout the batter.
- Pour into a greased *8×8 baking pan.
- Move oven rack to second from bottom position.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean and cornbread will be pulling away from sides of pan.
I hope you’ll enjoy our Favorite Sweet Cornbread recipe, as much as we do. It’s the perfect complement to so many dishes like my Creamy White Chicken Chili, or meatloaf, or even fried chicken. It can add the sweet balance to your favorite savory meals.