Meatloaf. I can’t think of a more classic family dinner dish. Meatloaf recipes are as varied and unique as the families that enjoy them. My recipe is a simple five-ingredient fix. It packs so much flavor, I’m guessing it may become one of your family’s favorites, too.
Ingredients You Need to Make Meatloaf
- ground beef
- tomato sauce
- onion soup mix
- rolled oats
While special condiments or toppings are not required, my family loves a simple sauce that I caramelize on top of ours, during the last fifteen minutes of baking. The ingredients are pantry staples _ ketchup, yellow mustard and brown sugar. Instructions are included in the notes of the recipe, below.
While the topping isn’t necessary, it definitely IS a great complement to the meatloaf. Ketchup, barbecue sauce or your family’s favorite condiment will work just as well, though. So be creative and make it your own.
How to Make Meatloaf
Fortunately, there’s no big mystery to making meatloaf. It comes together easily and quickly, which is important for busy week-nights.
Begin by placing all five ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
I use my hands, but grab a fork or wooden spoon if it makes you more comfortable. Thoroughly mix to be sure all ingredients are incorporated and evenly distributed.
Press the meatloaf mixture into a *10×5 loaf pan.
Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes. Cook until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 155°. (I add the sauce suggested in the recipe card, below, during the last 15 minutes of baking. This is an optional step, but enhances the flavor of meatloaf even more.)
Rest the meatloaf on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, before removing from the pan. (See how that sauce has caramelized on top and around the edges? Delish!) Then, transfer it to a serving platter. Slice it and enjoy!
Looking for other quick-fix supper ideas? Easy Crock-Pot Roast Beef is five simple ingredients and 5-minutes of prep to get the ENTIRE MEAL into the crock-pot. When you get home in the afternoon, dinner will be ready and waiting!Print
- 2 – 2.5 lbs lean ground beef (90%)
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 1 cup rolled oats
- optional: sauce, condiment or topping of your choice
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon, fork or your hands to be certain all ingredients are evenly distributed. For me, this is a job most easily accomplished by hand.
- This is a good-sized meatloaf, so a *larger loaf pan is called for. The one I use is one I also use for baking 2 lb bread loaves. It measures 10×5 inches.
- Pack the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven for 50-60 minutes, until the internal temperature registers at least 155°.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest on a cooling rack, still in the pan, for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Our family loves a saucy topping on meatloaf. Ketchup or barbecue sauce, both work fine, but if you’d like to try what we use, it’s very simple. I mix 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard and 1/2 cup brown sugar to form a sauce. I pour it over the meatloaf during the last 15 minutes of cooking time to let it become thick and caramelized. This can be baked in any size pans you like. I’ve done it in a 9×13 and cut into squares or baked in muffin tins, for individual meat loaves. The thinner your meatloaf mixture is in the pan, the shorter your baking time.
- Category: Main Dish, Beef
- Cuisine: American