Creamy White Chicken Chili was on our menu over the weekend. If you live where the temperature has been 32° or lower, or if you’ve had snow on the ground for more than a couple of hours; it’s officially soup, stew and chili season. Break out those *stock pots and warm your family with toe-toasting comfort food they can eat from a bowl.
I love being in the kitchen, this time of year! When soup is cooking, bread is baking or holiday treats are in the oven, the whole house is awash with “homey” aromas that welcome any guest or family member who walks through the door. Those wonderful smells are the best “welcome to my home” you can offer!
Smiles will abound, and memories will be made, over meals like Creamy White Chicken Chili and our Favorite Sweet Cornbread. The best news is they’re EASY to make and you’ll spend time enjoying them with your family, instead of spending tons of time at the stove!
Ingredients to Make Creamy White Chicken Chili
This creamy, delicious soup has a warm, spicy kick. Like most soups and stews, it’s even tastier on the second day. Leftovers will be a hit, plus, save you time and money. The ingredients are common pantry stock. You will probably already have most of them on hand.
To make Creamy White Chicken Chili you’ll need: cooked and shredded chicken, cannelini beans, chicken broth, bouillon, jalapeno, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin and cream cheese.
Putting the Chili Together
Getting this hearty, delicious soup on the table is a quick and simple task. If you have the chicken pre-cooked, it’s a breeze. (Shredded rotisserie chicken would work well in this recipe, too. )
Simply drain and rinse the canned beans. Add the beans and all other ingredients, except the cream cheese, to your favorite stock pot and heat over medium heat until soup comes to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese has fully melted and been incorporated. Serve your hearty delicious meal.
I like to serve Creamy White Chicken Chili with some freshly grated cheddar and hand-torn cilantro leaves, but you do you. Garnish it the way you and your family like best. It is absolutely stunning with our Favorite Sweet Cornbread as a side. The savory spice of the soup is perfectly complemented by the sweet, moist cornbread. Add a green salad and your meal is complete!
Stay warm and enjoy, my friend!Print
A simple and extraordinarily flavorful soup, with a spicy kick. It will warm both body and soul. Terrific with cornbread or even tortilla chips.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 (15.5 oz) cans cannelini beans (or great northern beans)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon.)
- 1 large jalapeno, minced (3-4 Tablespoons minced)
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add beans and all ingredients, except cream cheese to stock pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the softened cream cheese. Continue stirring until the cream cheese has completely melted and is incorporated into the broth.
- Serve with any of your favorite garnishes. I love it with grated cheddar and cilantro. A dollop of sour cream or thinly sliced green onions would be good, too.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican/American