Sweet Potato Casserole is the scrumptiously perfect complement to all your savory holiday dishes. With a crunchy streusel topping it satisfies with a great combination of textures, too. You might be tempted to bake this delicious casserole in a pie crust and serve it for dessert. But, don’t do it. Vegetables never tasted so good! You’re going to be the hero of your kitchen with this one!
Six Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Casserole & Five for Streusel Topping
Sweet potatoes and pecans are staples in my pantry, but even if they’re not in yours, they’re likely the only two ingredients you will need to add to the shopping list for this elegant holiday side dish.
Fresh sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla are the only ingredients in sweet potato casserole. The streusel topping combines butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and pecans for a crisp, delicious topping on the creamy potatoes.
Make Sweet Potato Casserole Ahead and Freeze
To freeze Sweet Potato Casserole for use at a future date, simply stop after Step 5, in the recipe. Be sure your casserole is 100% cool before covering. Cover and seal the pan tightly with heavy duty foil. (If you only have regular foil, use a double layer to prevent freezer burn. Freeze the casserole for up to 3 months. How awesome is that?
Being able to prepare parts of big meals ahead of time is a huge time saver. Plus, savvy cooks double recipes when they make them. It takes no more time to mix up a double batch, than a single. Bake one and put the other in the freezer for a potluck or gathering, later. You are so smart!
When you take the casserole out of the freezer to bake, be sure to thaw it in the fridge overnight. It should be completely thawed. Then top with the Streusel Topping and bake just as steps 6–8, of the recipe, instruct.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
You’ll need to bake the sweet potatoes, before you start mixing up this recipe. The passive baking time is something you should plan ahead for, since they’ll need an hour to an hour and a half to bake, depending on their size.
Then, remove the skins and mash them. I actually mash them right in the measuring cup I am using to measure them for the recipe. It only requires a fork.
Mixing up the Sweet Potato Casserole is a five-minute task. Put the sweet potato pulp in a mixing bowl with the sugar, eggs, butter, milk and vanilla.
Whisk them to combine all the ingredients and pour everything into a 9x13 baking dish. (You could also fill individual *ramekins, depending on how you plan to serve the casserole. See image, below.)
Cover the sweet potatoes with Streusel Topping and bake for thirty minutes.
Divine! Sweet Potato Casserole will be a celebration hit on your holiday menu. It’s actually delicious any time of year and a perfect complement to delicious Fall dishes like my friend, Sarah’s, slow cooker pork loin. Enjoy!Print
- 3 ½ — 4 cups sweet potatoes, baked and mashed (2 very large sweet potatoes)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Bake 2 — 3 sweet potatoes in a 350° oven for 60 — 90 minutes. Place the washed sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined *baking sheet. Pierce the skins to prevent bursting. A fork will slide into them easily and they will be tender, when done.
- Cool potatoes 20–30 minutes until they are not too hot for you to handle.
- Remove sweet potato skins and mash the pulp. I actually use a fork and mash them right in the measuring cup, I’m working with. You will need 3 ½ to 4 cups of mashed pulp. Anything within that range will definitely work.
- Beat sweet potato sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and milk until fully combined. Mixture will be smooth with a few small sweet potato lumps. (You could use a mixer to get it perfectly smooth, but I just use a spoon or whisk and it comes together beautifully in less than a minute.)-
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a *9x13 baking pan (or individual ramekins).
- To make the Streusel Topping, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a small bowl. Stir to be sure everything is combined and evenly distributed. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Evenly distribute the streusel topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 — 35 minutes minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Side Dish, Vegetable
- Cuisine: American