Bean Salad is a powerhouse of fiber, protein and nutrients. Plus, you can mix it up in 10 minutes or less! It’s great for potlucks and even makes a quick and tasty lunch. You can’t go wrong with this simple recipe.
Bean Salad simply doesn’t get the respect it deserves. It’s a great source of vitamins and minerals, not to mention protein and digestible fiber! Bean salad is a scrumptious complement of textures and zingy, “pickled” flavor next to any main dish.
The zippy, acidic, sweet-tart dressing makes the beans easily digestible and adds the perfect balance of flavors when paired with a rich or fatty main dish. So, this deliciously marinated bean salad is not only tasty, it’s good for you. You need this in your life!
How to Make Bean Salad
This easy recipe is what I classify as a “dump dish”. The handful of ingredients are dumped into a bowl, stirred together with the dressing and left to do their marinating work. It couldn’t be simpler. (Marination should be a minimum of 4 hours, but overnight is best for maximum flavor. So, plan ahead.)
When making the dressing, I prefer a deep jar and my *immersion blender, but it can easily be whisked together by hand, too.
Simplify your life and make a batch of this delicious bean salad to complement your weeknight main dishes this week. You’re going to love it!
This marinated bean salad puts delicious zip and texture into any meal. It’s especially good to cut through the richness of high-fat main dishes. It’s also great for picnics and potlucks. It’s loaded with fiber and nutrients and tastes fantastic!
For the Salad:
- 4 (15 oz) cans beans (Choose your favorite varieties. I used Great Northern, Red Beans (not kidney), Garbanzo Beans and Black Beans.)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1 large jalapeno, minced (seeds and veins, removed)
For the Dressing:
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup avocado oil ( or oil of your choice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by draining and rinsing the beans. Pour all 4 cans into a large colander and rinse under cold water. Drain. (You’ll need 4 (15 oz) cans of the beans you like best. You could use all the same, but I love the mixing of colors and textures, so I always choose four different ones. I use Great Northern, Red Beans (not kidney), Garbanzo Beans and Black Beans.)
- Mix the beans and veggies in a medium salad bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, by hand, or with an *immersion blender. I favor the immersion blender in a deep jar, but you can definitely do it by hand.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine and coat all the beans and vegetables.
- Refrigerate. Allow to marinate for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best for peak flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: cold mixed
- Cuisine: American