Perfect Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts are juicy and flavorful! Adults & kids love the easy 4‑ingredient recipe. Use this delicious chicken as the main dish or an ingredient in other recipes.
My delectable slow cooker chicken breast recipe is naturally gluten free. And, in the world of easy boneless skinless chicken breast recipes, this one is at the top.
Seriously! I’ve never found a simpler hands-off way to cook chicken breasts. THE best of chicken breast slow cooker recipes. Hands down! You’re gonna love it!
The Secret to Perfect Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
The secret to cooking boneless skinless chicken breast in a crockpot is simply not to overcook it. It isn’t tricky at all. But, it may require changing the way you think about timing and slow cookers.
Too often, we fall into the trap of expecting that everything we put into a slow cooker must cook for 6–8 hours on low or 4–6 hours on high. It’s the “standard” instruction for most slow cooker chicken recipes. That just doesn’t work for crockpot chicken breasts, though.
Why Adjust Cooking Time for Chicken Breast?
I understand the need to sometimes put something in the crockpot before leaving for work and having it hot and ready to go when you get back home. I need that option, too! It’s legitimate. I’m just going to ask you not to do it when making slow cooker chicken breast recipes.
When we use the oven, neither you, or I would choose to use the same temperature and length of time for cooking a roast, as we would for cooking chicken breasts. The chicken breasts would turn out dry, tough and inedible.
So, don’t make that choice when using your slow cooker, either. Adjust the cooking time to achieve the most delicious and juicy slow cooker chicken breast you’ve ever eaten. Once you learn to properly cook chicken in a slow cooker it will change the way you plan and cook your favorite chicken dishes.
How Do You Know When Chicken is Fully Cooked?
Boneless skinless chicken breast must reach an internal temperature of 165° before eating them. When poked the juices should be clear and not pink.
I remove the chicken from whatever I’m cooking it in once it hits 160°. Then, I allow the chicken breasts to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes
Crockpot chicken breasts will continue to cook from residual heat and reach that USDA recommended temperature (165° F) after a short resting period.
This resting time allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, too, and gives you the best, most perfectly juicy slow cooker chicken breast you’ve ever eaten.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Crockpot Chicken Breasts ?
I accomplish this in just 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes with my slow cooker!
If you double the recipe, you may need to adjust the time to accommodate the bigger batch. I would still always check at the 2 hour mark and add 15 minute increments until the chicken reaches the correct temperature.
As chicken breast slow cooker recipes go, this one is super simple. Don’t be fooled, though. The flavor is absolutely stand-on-its-own delicious. The simple seasoning and flavor profile make it easy to use in lots of other recipes, too!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: I use fresh chicken breasts in this recipe. I recommend thawing frozen chicken. It will cook more evenly and safely. A slow cooker cannot raise the temp of frozen chicken fast enough to be safe.
- Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning: Follow this link to my favorite easy 5‑ingredient all purpose seasoning recipe or buy your favorite at the store.
- Chicken Broth: Use your favorite. I use the Sam’s brand chicken broth or bone broth I can find at Walmart.
Why Add Butter to a Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipe?
No fat on boneless skinless chicken breasts means they can dry out quickly and will have very little flavor on their own. When cooking chicken breasts in the crock-pot, fat means moisture and flavor! It will boost the richness of the chicken broth you use.
I recommend butter, not margarine. Butter adds a richness, gorgeous flavor and juiciness that you won’t enjoy without it. Trust me. It’s only 4 Tablespoons and it makes a world of difference in this crock pot chicken breast recipe. Plus, the gravy you make from the drippings will be DELISH!
Batch Cooking in the Slow Cooker
Easy crock pot chicken breasts roast up tender and delicious with a minimum of effort in one of my all-time favorite countertop appliances, a slow cooker [affiliate link]. It saves me time and a lot of work.
Another way I save time and work on busy weeknights is to have pre-cooked chicken breasts on hand. Batch cooking crockpot chicken recipes is a great way to stock your fridge and freezer for other meals and recipes.
I often double or triple this recipe for batch cooking. It’s not unusual to find two slow cookers with this scrumptious chicken recipe, going in my kitchen. By batch cooking them, now, I can quickly prepare any recipe that calls for cooked chicken breasts, later.
Once the boneless chicken breasts are cooked and cooled, I can prepare gorgeous slices for salads, meal bowls or stir fries; cubes and chunks for casseroles, soups and dinner bowls; plus shreds for tacos, burritos and sandwiches. Having these packages of juicy chicken ready and waiting in my fridge and freezer makes quick and easy weeknight meals a breeze!
Chicken breasts are a healthy option to have on hand for so many dishes. If you’re interested in more info on chicken breast calories or nutrition and another easy method for preparing them, check out Lara’s recipe for air fryer chicken breasts.
FAQ’s about Batch Cooking Chicken Breast
You can double or even triple this recipe to prepare enough chicken to keep your freezer stocked. Just be sure to leave at least 1‑inch of head space at the top of your crockpot. I have even had two slow cookers going at once!
Be sure to completely cool the chicken before prepping it for freezing. Then place the chicken in zip-top freezer bags. You can freeze chicken breasts whole, in slices, in chunks or cubes and in shreds.
I recommend measuring out the amount you would typically use for one recipe into individual freezer bags. Then you need only to thaw what you will be using, immediately.
Clearly label and date each bag, so you can rotate your freezer stock, efficiently. Cooked chicken breasts, sealed properly in bags with as much air removed as possible, will keep up to 6 months in the freezer.
Chicken Breasts baked in the oven can be as juicy and tender as those cooked in your slow cooker. Chicken roasted in this way is delicious and easy to batch cook for the freezer, too.
The boneless skinless chicken breasts require much less time to cook, when baking, so you will need to be watchful to prevent overcooking. Bake them on sheet trays at high temperature for only about 20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 160° is reached. Get the full instructions, HERE.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
You can use the recipe just as it’s written in the recipe card. Serve the juicy delicious chicken as the main course along with your favorite chicken dinner sides and scrumptious gravy. (Gravy recipe in NOTES section of the recipe card.
But this chicken can be used in so many other fantastic dishes, too. You have to give it a try in my easy Chicken Street Tacos, or warm a few pieces in my easy marinara sauce, top with Mozzarella and Parmesan for a delicious Chicken Parmesan supper.
You can also use the drippings/ broth in the slow cooker to make a quick and easy soup. Add a couple chopped slow cooker chicken breasts, a bag of frozen peas and carrots and these delicious homemade dumplings for a comfort food supper to soothe any long day stresses away.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts recipe is going to be the beginning of some of your favorite fast and easy weeknight dinners!
How to Make Juicy Slow Cooker Chicken
It’s as easy as plopping everything into the slow cooker and turning it on. Seriously, the recipe is super simple and delivers fantastic flavor with very little effort.
- First, season the chicken breasts by sprinkling both sides generously with the all purpose seasoning.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Try to get them in a single layer.
- Next toss in the half stick of butter and pour in the chicken broth.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of each chicken breast is 160°.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes, so they come up to 165° and juices are redistributed throughout the meat.
- Serve with your favorite sides or cool and prep for the fridge and freezer.
Perfect Crock Pot Chicken Breasts are juicy, flavorful and SO easy to make! Adults & kids love this easy 4‑ingredient recipe. Use this delicious chicken as the main dish or an ingredient in other recipes. Perfect for batch cooking for the freezer. This delicious chicken will be perfect in all your favorite dishes — breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 pieces) (Frozen chicken should be thawed, first.)
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Seasoning
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- Generously season each chicken breast with All Purpose Seasoning, being sure to coat both sides.
- Place each chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker making an effort to try to keep them in a single layer. (If doubling the recipe, there will of course be two layers of chicken.)
- Add the butter and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to low.
- Cook on low for around 2 hours until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160°.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate or cutting board to rest for 10 minutes and complete the cooking process. The temperature of the chicken will continue to rise and reach the USDA recommended internal temperature of 165°. Juices will redistribute during this resting period, as well. The recipe will not turn out as expected if this resting period is skipped.
- Serve this delicious chicken with your favorite sides or shred/chop/slice for use in future meals and recipes.
To Make Gravy with the Drippings in the Slow Cooker:
- drippings from slow cooker (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (enough to bring liquid to 2 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons COLD water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Dissolve the cornstarch completely in the cold water and set aside.
- Strain the drippings from the slow cooker into a liquid measuring cup.
- Add milk to bring the level up to 2 cups.
- Whisk the corn starch and water mixture into the drippings and milk in the measuring cup.
- Pour everything into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the gravy comes to a boil and thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Meat, Poultry, Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, slow cooker, all purpose seasoning
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Garlic Chicken, from Sara at Real Balanced
- Cast Iron Chicken, from Genevieve at Two Cloves Kitchen
- Chicken Stroganoff Recipe, from Matej at Cook We Will
On the lookout for more fantastic chicken breast crock pot recipes? Look no further. My delicious Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken explodes with savory, spicy flavor that makes you want just one more bite!.. It’s great as a main dish or used in pulled sandwiches, tacos and so much more. It’s one more of 2 chicken breast crock pot recipes, I know you will love.
Here’s the second one. Delicious Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken makes to-die-for rice bowls. Especially when you serve it with my mouthwatering Pineapple Salsa!
These juicy, delectable Chicken Kabobs on Pellet Smoker, from Sherry, over at From Michigan to the Table are bound to be a hit at any summer gathering! Grab her easy recipe!
Be sure to check out this delish and simple Lemon Chicken Tray Bake from Gen over at Two Cloves Kitchen! Yum
Click the link above to check out a yummy Instant Pot Italian Chicken recipe from my friend, Jenn. Her blog is Cook What You Love.
- Avocado Lime Chicken Soup
- Chicken Crunch Wrap Supreme
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Jalapeno Chicken and Corn Chowder
- Mexican Chicken Stuffed Shells
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Monterey Chicken