Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are a family-favorite comfort food meal. These scrumptiously creamy and cheesy pillows of chicken delight are hot on the plate in 5‑minutes with my easy-prep method. I have made them for our family and friends for at least two decades. They are as popular now, as the first time I served them.
Because they are so loved, I try to always keep the simple ingredients on hand. Prepping a quick batch and storing it in the fridge, means we are minutes from delicious lunches and dinners, for however many are needed.
With so many of you having kids home all day now, I think creamy chicken enchiladas will become one of your family favorites, too.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Shredded or chopped chicken: For stress-free and easy, use my Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts recipe. Or for flavor-packed spicy punch, you’ll love Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken in these enchiladas.
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour Cream
- fresh Jalapenos
- Cheddar Cheese
- Flour Tortillas (burrito size)
How to Make Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Cook and chop or shred the chicken breasts. If you’re using a rotisserie chicken pull all the meat from the bones and shred. If you’re using pre-cooked and frozen chicken, be sure to completely thaw it before assembling the enchiladas. Place the chicken in a large *storage bowl with a lid.
Mix up the sauce by stirring together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and minced jalapeno. This creamy sauce is part of the comfort-food factor in this delicious dish. Increase or decrease the jalapeno according to your family’s personal tastes.
Warm the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable and easy to roll without tearing.
One-at-a-time lay out the tortillas on a plate and add a strip of shredded chicken down the center.
Add sauce across the top of the chicken and then a layer of shredded Cheddar.
Roll the tortilla by first folding in the sides and then rolling from one end to the other. Place the enchilada seam-side down on the plate. Spread the top of the tortilla with additional sauce and another sprinkle of cheddar.
Microwave the creamy chicken enchilada for about 2 minutes on full power. Every microwave is a little different, so adjust 30 seconds less or more based on your own.
The happy result will have your entire family running to the table! Enjoy!
Alternative Cooking Method
It’s possible to roll all the enchiladas and place them in a well-greased 9x13 pan. Be sure to spread at least 2 cups of sauce across the bottom of the pan before adding the rolled enchiladas.
Once they’re all in the pan, top them with more sauce and shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake the creamy chicken enchiladas at 350° for 20 ‑30 minutes. This method allows you to have all the enchiladas done at one time.
Decide what works best for your own family and the event where you’re serving them. You’re going to love these enchiladas whether you’re making a single serving or a spread for guests! I can’t wait for you to give them a try!Print
Creamy, cheesy pillows of chicken‑y goodness! This is one of our family’s all-time comfort food favorites and you can have one hot on a plate in 5 minutes!
- 6-7 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4-5 lbs), cooked and shredded or chopped
- 2 (26 oz) cans cream of chicken soup, (those are the family-size cans)
- 5 cups sour cream
- 3-4 large jalapenos, minced with most seeds and veins removed
- 16 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 lb. bag of shredded Cheddar Cheese (Colby-Jack works well, too.)
- Cook and shred the chicken. Place in a large bowl with a lid that can be stored in the fridge.
- In a second large bowl with lid, stir together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and minced jalapenos to make the sauce.
- To assemble the creamy chicken enchiladas place a tortilla on a dinner plate.
- Run shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla. How much will depend on the size of the appetite you’re cooking for. I would say typically 1/2 cup shredded chicken is about right.
- Spread sauce over the top of the chicken and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Again, the amounts are dependent on the person, but I would suggest starting with 1/4 cup of sauce and enough cheese to cover that.
- Roll the tortilla by first folding in the sides and then rolling from one end to the other. Place the enchilada seam-side down on the plate.
- Spread the top of the tortilla with additional sauce and another sprinkle of cheddar.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes on full power. Cooking times may vary slightly microwave to microwave, so use the time that works best on yours.
- When the cheese is melted and the sauce bubbly, the enchilada is ready.
It’s possible to roll all the enchiladas and place them in a well-greased 9x13 pan. Be sure to spread at least 2 cups of sauce across the bottom of the pan before adding the rolled enchiladas. Once they’re all in the pan, top them with more sauce and shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake the creamy chicken enchiladas at 350° for 20 ‑30 minutes, until they are heated through and the cheese has melted. This method allows you to have all the enchiladas done for serving all at one time.
- Prep Time: 3 min
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Category: Main Dish, Entree, Chicken
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican/American