Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning is my go-to blend for everyday cooking needs. Its 5‑ingredient formula is quick and easy to mix together and it’s the secret to savory, restaurant-quality flavor in so many dishes. I use it in and on so many recipes. It makes delish burgers and it takes home fries to a whole new level. Roast chicken will burst with umami deliciousness. There are a multitude of ways to love this simple and flavorful seasoning blend.
The all purpose seasoning blend is basic enough that it won’t overpower other seasonings you may add to a dish. Italian dishes will still taste Italian. Mexican recipes will still have their Mexican flair. But using this All Purpose Seasoning Blend instead of just plain salt and pepper will enhance and add dimension to the flavors of the dishes you make.
This recipe has only 5 ingredients, easily found in the spice aisle at your local stores. But, because this is a blend I use every day, I like to have the ingredients on hand in bulk. So, I usually buy bulk *onion powder and *garlic granules online. I go through it too fast for the little jars to make sense for me.
Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning Ingredients
- Paprika — I use mild (often referred to as sweet) red paprika in this recipe. Just the standard, inexpensive jar that’s probably already in your pantry. I buy a 1 lb store brand jar. Paprika is made from dried mild peppers. It adds gorgeous color to many dishes that would otherwise be drab and boring, especially roasted chicken or pork. Flavors range from the standard everyday mild to quite hot. You can even purchase smoked paprika, which I love, but not for all purpose seasoning. Paprika’s flavor is released when heated.
- *Onion Powder — 1 Tablespoon of onion powder is equal to about ½ cup of diced onion (1 medium onion). That means that in this all purpose seasoning blend the savory, umami deliciousness that is so cravable and comforting in our favorite home dishes comes from the super-concentrated flavor in just a small amount of onion powder.
- *Garlic Granules — Dehydrated garlic is somewhat milder than raw. For everyday seasoning in a spice blend, the moisture of raw isn’t an option, though. Rehydrating garlic powder or granules for a couple minutes before heating it, increases the potency of its garlicky flavor. So, stir it into your tomato sauce and give it a minute BEFORE turning on the heat. You’ll net deeper garlic deliciousness!
- Salt — The perfect homemade all purpose spice blend would be nothing without it. Whatever everyday salt you typically use is going to be great. Salt is nature’s flavor enhancer. While it’s definitely possible to get carried away and use too much, used appropriately, salt is really a necessary component of flavor. The goal is not saltiness. It’s too bring out, enhance and intensify the flavors of what you’re cooking.
- Ground Black Pepper — Plain old ground, black pepper. I usually by a 1 lb jar and it’s actually labeled “Table Grind”.
The Easy Recipe
Here’s the simple recipe for my Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning. I bet it will become one of your favorite kitchen staples. Enjoy!Print
My go-to, everyday all purpose seasoning. I use it on and in so many dishes. It adds just the right amount of flavor without overpowering. And it stands alone with wonderful savory flavor if you use it on its own. The ingredients are likely in your pantry already and it’s less than 5 minutes to mix it up.
- 4 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons garlic granules
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined. You want all the ingredients evenly distributed. It’s not necessary, but I like to toss them all in the blender and pulse a few times to mix them and to make all the ingredient particles a uniform size.
Store the blend in a tightly sealed glass jar alongside your other spices.
Use as you would any commercial all purpose seasoning blend.
- Category: Seasoning Blend, Spice Blend
- Method: by hand
- Cuisine: American