Tater Tot Casserole Supreme is one of those quick-fix suppers that makes life simpler when you have 12,000 different things going on all at once. It’s a hearty meal with vegetables, (green beans and corn) in a scrumptious cream sauce topped with cheese and crispy potatoes. Seriously, what’s not to love? lol
Truly though, if your house is like mine, everyone will love this. You’ll have time for a nice dinner with your family and still be able to accomplish all the things that still need to get done.
In the days leading up to Christmas, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most of what I’m doing is being set aside for Christmas Day, though. Believe it or not, my family has the audacity to want to eat during that time. lol That’s why I keep a list of quick-fix suppers in my bag of tricks and this recipe is one of the best.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 (26 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 oz) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 16 oz (half a 32 oz bag) Tater Tots
- Begin by browning and draining your ground beef.Return it to the skillet after draining.
- Mince the onion.
- To the skillet, add cream of chicken soup, minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, green beans and corn.
- Stir all the ingredients together, right there in the skillet. No need to dirty a bowl.
- Once everything is evenly distributed, pour the filling into a *9x13 pan.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle it, in an even layer, over the meat filling.
- Place the tater tots down on top of the cheese, leaving room between them so they can brown and crisp more evenly.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest on a cooling rack for about ten minutes. That gives the time sauce to cool and set.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Dish, Casserole
- Cuisine: American
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole Supreme
Begin by browning and draining your ground beef and mincing the onion. Return the ground beef right back into the *cast iron skillet you browned it in, once it’s been drained. To the skillet, add cream of chicken soup, minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, green beans and corn.
Stir all the ingredients together, right there in the skillet. No need to dirty a bowl. Once everything is evenly distributed, pour the filling into a 9x13 pan.
I know we talked about this back when we made Breakfast Casserole, but it’s worth repeating. Grate your own cheese, for the best flavor and the best meltiness. Pre-grated cheese is coated to keep it from clumping. It affects the taste and it doesn’t melt as well. Pull out your *grater take the 1 or 2 minutes needed to grate the cheese for this casserole. You’ll thank me later.
Sprinkle the cheese over the meat, green beans and corn filling in an even layer. Then plop the tater tots down on top of the cheese.
This is another area of difference between this recipe and the standard versions. Most will use a full 32 oz bag of Tater Tots on their casserole. I prefer to leave space between them, so the heat gets to all sides evenly and they are crispier. The tots are good, but they’re for texture. I want to be able to taste all the other delicious ingredients, too. I find that 1/2 of that bag is the best balance for a delicious casserole.
Bake the Tater Tot Casserole Supreme at 425° for 30 minutes. The tater tots will be browned and crisp and the casserole will be bubbling around the edges. After 30 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest on a cooling rack for ten minutes or so.
While it’s super hot, the casserole will seem to be runny, but trust me. Let it rest for a few minutes and it will thicken and set up. You guys, this is so delicious! I’m getting hungry writing about it. lol