Egg Roll Bowls are a scrumptiously simple way to get a balanced, colorful and flavorful meal on the table for the whole family. You can prepare it more quickly than you can get Chinese food delivered! And your family will ask for this easy meal over and over, again.
It’s perfectly fluffy rice, covered in my simple egg roll filling and drizzled with the world’s greatest 5‑Minute Stir-Fry and Dipping Sauce. Grain, protein, veggies and sauce for the win! You can’t lose with this recipe, my friend. You will be voted master of your kitchen from the very first time you serve this wonderful dinner.
How to Make Egg Roll Bowls
- Make the sauce.
- In a *12-inch cast iron skillet, brown the pork to make the egg roll bowl filling.
- Warm the rice you made ahead for this week’s meals (You made a bulk batch of rice for the fridge this week, right?) OR make a batch of quick-cook rice. Any brand of minute cooking rice will be ready in under 10 minutes.
- Next, add veggies to the deliciously seasoned pork. Stir and cook the mixture until the veggies are just heated through. They should be tender crisp, not mushy.
- Serve by creating beautiful egg roll *bowls with a layer of fluffy rice in the bottom. Top the rice with the savory egg roll filling and drizzle with my 5‑Minute Stir Fry and Dipping Sauce. If you like, sprinkle some chopped cilantro and fried wonton strips over the top for an optional garnish.
Great Make-Ahead Meal
This is a recipe that will make 8 servings, easily. If that’s enough for leftovers at your house, fantastic! You can easily double this recipe. Store the components in containers in the fridge. You will have quick and easy “pick-up” meals all week.
For a fast lunch or a quick supper assemble a delicious egg roll bowl. Heat it in the microwave. Enjoy a healthy alternative to take-out in under 5 minutes! How easy is that?
I hope your family is over the moon for this easy and delicious supper! It’s a hit at my house and one of the current favorites in our menu rotation.
And if you love this delicious rice bowl, be sure to check out my Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Rice Bowl with Pineapple Salsa recipe!Print
This easy Asian-inspired dish is a scrumptious and quick meal for busy weeknights. Young and old will love the savory, sweet filling served on fluffy rice. You’ll love how simple it is to make and knowing your family is getting a balanced and delicious meal.
For the Egg Roll Filling:
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1.5 lbs lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or substitute 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 (16 oz) bag of coleslaw mix (with red and green cabbage & shredded carrot)
- optional garnish: cilantro leaves and wonton strips
For the Rice:
- 1 quart of water or chicken stock
- 4 cups of dry quick-cook rice
For the Sauce:
- 1 batch of 5‑Minute Stir-Fry & Dipping Sauce (see recipe in the notes, below)
- Make 5‑Minute Stir Fry Sauce using the recipe in the notes.
- Put the water or stock for rice in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the sesame oil and avocado oil into a cast iron skillet.
- Crumble ground pork into the skillet.
- Add minced onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, black pepper and sugar to the pork and stir to combine.
- Begin browning the pork over medium-high heat and cook until it is no longer pink in the center.
- Add the dry, quick-cook rice to the pot of water or broth. Cover the pot with a lid and shut off the heat.
- Add the coleslaw mix to the pork and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the filling until the veggies are hot all the way through. They should be tender-crisp, not mushy.
- Now, all the components are cooked and you’re ready to build the egg roll bowls.
- Enjoy this delicious meal!
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or substitute 2 teaspoons ginger powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and whisk to be sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved BEFORE you start heating.
- Once the cornstarch is dissolved, bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for 1 minute or until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Sauce is ready to serve.
- Leftovers can be kept tightly covered in the fridge for 7–10 days.
- Use as a drizzle, sauce, dressing or dip with your favorite Asian dishes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Entree, Pork
- Method: stove top, skillet
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: egg roll, bowls, pork, Asian