Meatballs in Brown Gravy are super-quick to make if you start with frozen meatballs (See my Easy Delicious Meatballs recipe to make the BEST flavor-kicked-up meatballs and keep your freezer stocked, at all times.)
Meatballs in gravy are very much like Swedish meatballs. They can be served over mashed potatoes, noodles or even rice. It’s a simple, affordable meal that can be on the table quickly, (even on a weeknight) and makes a fantastic family dinner.
Gravy. It’s comfort food. I won’t argue that it is healthy or that it’s “good for us”. But, my friends, SOMETIMES gravy is that warm hug you need after a long day. Meatballs in brown gravy is SO delicious!
Gravy’s warm. It’s creamy. It’s deeply rich in savory flavors. And from a food standpoint, gravy’s just plain satisfying.
Gravy tastes like “home”. Which is why it almost always appears on the table, when I have a large family gathering — get-togethers where I want everyone to feel welcome, comfortable and “at home”.
This recipe for Meatballs in Brown Gravy is EASY. Here’s how to get it on the table for supper, tonight.
- Frozen Meatballs : My homemade freezer meatballs are THE best you will ever eat. I encourage you to try the easy recipe.
- Avocado Oil: or the vegetable oil of your choice
- All Purpose Flour
- Beef Base or bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon Beef Base.)
- Beef Broth:I like the Sam’s brand Beef Bone Broth I can get at Walmart.
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
- salt and pepper, to taste optional, chopped parsley garnish
How to Make Meatballs in Brown Gravy
This is a pretty basic gravy, that starts with a roux. The texture and flavor get amped up a bit with the addition of heavy cream and zingy sour cream. Otherwise, it’s pretty straight-forward.
Begin by making the roux in a 12″ cast iron skillet. Pour the oil and flour into the skillet and whisk them together over medium heat. They will begin to form a loose “paste” and start bubbling as you get them combined. Allow the roux to continue cooking for 2–3 minutes. That gives the flour a chance to take on a more nutty flavor and the roux will become a deeper color.
Whisk the beef broth and bouillon into the roux and continue stirring to incorporate it completely and smooth out any lumps.
Add the cream and sour cream, whisking them into the gravy.
Then add the meatballs. Continue to cook over medium low heat until the meatballs are warmed through.
Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with minced parsley. It’s ready to serve.
How to Serve Meatballs in Gravy
As I mentioned, we love these over mashed potatoes, but egg noodles or rice are also great. When selecting side dishes, plan for lighter, brighter complements. Something with acidic or citrus will help to balance the savory flavors of the gravy. Apple Citrus Coleslaw is a fantastic side with Meatballs in Brown Gravy. Ruby Coleslaw is a perfect accompaniment!
Meatballs in Brown Gravy are super-quick to make if you start with my homemade frozen meatballs. These scrumptious meatballs can be served over mashed potatoes, noodles or even rice. It’s a simple, affordable, comfort food meal that can be on the table quickly, (even on a weeknight) and makes a fantastic family dinner.
- 24-30 frozen meatballs, (be sure to grab my easy recipe)
- 5 Tablespoons oil
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 T beef bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon Beef Base. Choose your favorite brand.)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional, chopped parsley garnish
- Start by making a roux. Put the oil and flour into your 12″ cast-iron skillet.
- Over medium heat, whisk the oil and flour together until they are smooth.
- Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the flour to take on a nutty taste and aroma. It will begin to darken in color, becoming a sort of golden shade.
- Whisk the beef broth and bouillon into the roux and continue stirring to incorporate it completely and smooth out any lumps. The gravy will begin thickening.
- Add the cream and sour cream, whisking them into the gravy. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add the meatballs. Continue to cook over medium low heat until the meatballs are warmed through.
- Serve over potatoes, noodles or rice.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Beef, Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gravy, beef, meatballs
More Delicious Meatball Recipes to Try
Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Noodles Recipe
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
- Southwest Chicken
- Perfect Baked Chicken Breasts