This easy Asian-inspired dish is a scrumptious and quick meal for busy weeknights. Young and old will love the savory, sweet filling served on fluffy rice. You'll love how simple it is to make and knowing your family is getting a balanced and delicious meal.
For the Egg Roll Filling:
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1.5 lbs lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or substitute 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 (16 oz) bag of coleslaw mix (with red and green cabbage & shredded carrot)
- optional garnish: cilantro leaves and wonton strips
For the Rice:
- 1 quart of water or chicken stock
- 4 cups of dry quick-cook rice
For the Sauce:
- 1 batch of 5-Minute Stir-Fry & Dipping Sauce (see recipe in the notes, below)
- Make 5-Minute Stir Fry Sauce using the recipe in the notes.
- Put the water or stock for rice in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the sesame oil and avocado oil into a cast iron skillet.
- Crumble ground pork into the skillet.
- Add minced onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, black pepper and sugar to the pork and stir to combine.
- Begin browning the pork over medium-high heat and cook until it is no longer pink in the center.
- Add the dry, quick-cook rice to the pot of water or broth. Cover the pot with a lid and shut off the heat.
- Add the coleslaw mix to the pork and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the filling until the veggies are hot all the way through. They should be tender-crisp, not mushy.
- Now, all the components are cooked and you're ready to build the egg roll bowls.
- Enjoy this delicious meal!
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or substitute 2 teaspoons ginger powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and whisk to be sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved BEFORE you start heating.
- Once the cornstarch is dissolved, bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for 1 minute or until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Sauce is ready to serve.
- Leftovers can be kept tightly covered in the fridge for 7-10 days.
- Use as a drizzle, sauce, dressing or dip with your favorite Asian dishes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Entree, Pork
- Method: stove top, skillet
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: egg roll, bowls, pork, Asian