A simple and extraordinarily flavorful soup, with a spicy kick. It will warm both body and soul. Terrific with cornbread or even tortilla chips.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 (15.5 oz) cans cannelini beans (or great northern beans)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon.)
- 1 large jalapeno, minced (3–4 Tablespoons minced)
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add beans and all ingredients, except cream cheese to stock pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the softened cream cheese. Continue stirring until the cream cheese has completely melted and is incorporated into the broth.
- Serve with any of your favorite garnishes. I love it with grated cheddar and cilantro. A dollop of sour cream or thinly sliced green onions would be good, too.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican/American