- 2 - 2.5 lbs lean ground beef (90%)
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 1 cup rolled oats
- optional: sauce, condiment or topping of your choice
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon, fork or your hands to be certain all ingredients are evenly distributed. For me, this is a job most easily accomplished by hand.
- This is a good-sized meatloaf, so a *larger loaf pan is called for. The one I use is one I also use for baking 2 lb bread loaves. It measures 10x5 inches.
- Pack the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven for 50-60 minutes, until the internal temperature registers at least 155°.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest on a cooling rack, still in the pan, for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Our family loves a saucy topping on meatloaf. Ketchup or barbecue sauce, both work fine, but if you'd like to try what we use, it's very simple. I mix 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard and 1/2 cup brown sugar to form a sauce. I pour it over the meatloaf during the last 15 minutes of cooking time to let it become thick and caramelized. This can be baked in any size pans you like. I've done it in a 9x13 and cut into squares or baked in muffin tins, for individual meat loaves. The thinner your meatloaf mixture is in the pan, the shorter your baking time.
- Category: Main Dish, Beef
- Cuisine: American