What is a Hot Beef Sandwich? Picture thick-sliced, crusty bread, buttered and toasted to golden brown. Now, top that with a layer of tender, juicy roast beef and drizzle with rich, savory roast beef gravy. Finally, add a crown of creamy mashed potatoes, with a well at the center, to hold even more deep, brown gravy. The gravy cascading over the entire dish, brings every delicious bite into the ultimate comfort-food harmony. Bliss!
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I may as well come straight out and tell you. Cooking once, and creating meals that will actually become the foundation of two, three or even more, meals is a favorite cooking strategy. This recipe comes from one of those meals purposely prepared to create leftovers — my Easy Crock-Pot Roast Beef. So, now when YOU prepare it, you’ll be able to enjoy the same delicious leftover magic.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- leftover roast beef
- leftover gravy (here’s my Easy Roast Beef Gravy recipe)
- mashed potatoes (leftover if you have them. If not, I have a fast and easy solution, I’ll share.)
- french bread, sliced into 1 to 1.5″ thick slices
How to Make a Hot Beef Sandwich
First, you want all the components of your sandwich to be hot and ready at the same time. If you prepared roasted potatoes, with your original roast beef meal, it’s definitely the most frugal option to just mash any leftovers you have. At our house, potatoes don’t usually make it to the leftover stage, though. lol So, I’ve discovered a quick and easy solution.
I do most of my grocery shopping at the Walmart in our small community. Their refrigerated case, where they have their fresh made deli pizzas, also displays some convenience items. One of our personal favorites is Bob Evans Original Mashed Potatoes.
Maybe you’ll find a different brand or alternative for quick and easy mashed potatoes. This is what’s available in our area and I can recommend them for the convenience. They heat in the microwave in 4 – 6 minutes and they are the creamy and delicious. I can’t buy, peel and cook potatoes, then add butter and milk for much less than I spend on these. You can see why they’re almost always my go-to, when making a meal that calls for mashed potatoes, on a busy weeknight.
Reheat leftover roast beef in a skillet on the stove top or in your microwave.
You’ll warm the leftover gravy, as well. Add a small amount of water to thin it, if it has set too thick in the refrigerator. Keep it over medium low heat, in a pan on the stove top. Whisk the gravy as necessary to bring it back to a smooth consistency.
Cut a thick slice of crusty, French bread. After that, lightly butter both sides of the bread and toast it. Use a skillet on the stove top, if you’re just making one to four hot beef sandwiches. Next, brown both sides and you’re ready to go. (If you need to cook more than four at a time, put them on a sheet tray under the broiler for a couple minutes.)
Assemble the Sandwich
Lay a slice of the toasted bread on a plate, top with a layer of warm roast beef and a drizzle of hot gravy. Now, add a scoop of mashed potatoes to the top of the stack and drizzle with more gravy.
This is the definition of comfort food. Enjoy!Print
Reheat as many of the leftovers, from your roast beef dinner, as necessary for the number of people you’re feeding. This recipe is enough for 1 serving. Multiply it for each sandwich you want to serve. Trust me when I tell you, NO ONE will know this delicious comfort food meal is made from leftovers. Why tell them?
- 1/4 lb leftover roast beef
- 1/4 cup leftover gravy
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (leftover if you have them. If not, I have a fast and easy solution, I’ll share.)
- 1 slice french bread, sliced into 1 to 1.5” thick slices
- Heat the mashed potatoes. I think the microwave works best. Use your own leftovers or try pre-made mashed potatoes from the refrigerated case at your favorite market. I use Bob Evans Original brand.
- Reheat leftover roast beef in a skillet on the stove top or in the microwave.
- You’ll warm the leftover gravy, as well. Add a small amount of water to thin it, if it has set too thick in the refrigerator. Keep it over medium low heat, in a pan on the stove top, whisking as necessary to bring it back to a smooth consistency.
- Cut a thick slice of French bread. Lightly butter both sides of the bread and toast it. If you’re just making one to four hot beef sandwiches, this can most easily be achieved in a skillet on the stove-top. Brown both sides and you’re ready to go. (For more than four at a time, you can put them on a sheet tray under the broiler in your oven for a couple minutes.)
- Once all the ingredients are warmed, you’re ready to assemble the luscious sandwiches.
- Lay the toasted bread on your plate, top with a layer of the warmed roast beef, then a drizzle of hot gravy.
- Now, add a scoop of mashed potatoes to the top of the stack and drizzle with more gravy.
- Serve hot with your favorite veggie side.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
Go forth, Friend! It’s time for you to make leftovers your happy place, and a meal your family will never believe you put together in minutes from what was left in your fridge. You can do it! I’ve got your back!