Creamy, cheesy pillows of chicken-y goodness! This is one of our family’s all-time comfort food favorites and you can have one hot on a plate in 5 minutes!
- 6–7 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4–5 lbs), cooked and shredded or chopped
- 2 (26 oz) cans cream of chicken soup, (those are the family-size cans)
- 5 cups sour cream
- 3–4 large jalapenos, minced with most seeds and veins removed
- 16 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese (Colby-Jack works well, too.), (Grate it fresh. It makes such a difference!)
- Cook and shred the chicken. Place in a large bowl with a lid that can be stored in the fridge.
- Stir together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and minced jalapenos to make the sauce, in a separate bowl with a lid.
- To assemble the creamy chicken enchiladas place a tortilla on a dinner plate.
- Place shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla in a line. How much will depend on the size of the appetite you’re cooking for. I would say typically 1/2 cup shredded chicken is about right.
- Spread sauce over the top of the chicken and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Again, the amounts are dependent on the person, but I would suggest starting with 1/4 cup of sauce and enough cheese to cover that.
- Roll the tortilla by first folding in the sides and then rolling from one end to the other. Place the enchilada seam-side down on the plate.
- Spread the top of the tortilla with additional sauce and another sprinkle of cheddar.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes on full power. Cooking times may vary slightly microwave to microwave, so use the time that works best on yours.
- When the cheese is melted and the sauce bubbly, the enchilada is ready.
It’s possible to roll all the enchiladas and place them in a well-greased 9×13 pan. Be sure to spread at least 2 cups of sauce across the bottom of the pan before adding the rolled enchiladas. Once they’re all in the pan, top them with more sauce and shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake the creamy chicken enchiladas at 350° for 20 -30 minutes, until they are heated through and the cheese has melted. This method allows you to have all the enchiladas done for serving all at one time.
- Prep Time: 3 min
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Category: Main Dish, Entree, Chicken
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican/American