Some days you just need a break. You need dinner to be tasty for your family and on the table, without creating a lot of stress and dishes, for you. I get you. When you’ve had a busy day and 5:00 rolls around, sometimes the weariness can be overwhelming. You walk through the door and you’re bombarded with responsibilities, requests and even more to do. Dinner is the last thing you want to think about.
Sheet Pan Sausage and Roasted Veggies is my solution in that moment. When I just. can’t. even. This is the dinner I make for my family. Prep time is minimal and oven time is 30–40 minutes, depending on the vegetables you choose.Print
Flavorful and simple dinner to get a tasty meal on the table in 30 minutes. Roasting brings out the best flavors in all the ingredients.
1 — 2 lbs Beef Smoked Sausage (or your family’s favorite sausages)
3 lbs veggies of your choice, chopped and sliced (*See Notes.)
2 Tablespoons avocado oil
salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the sausage into rounds about ½ inch thick.
- Chop or slice the veggies of your choice. (*See Notes.)
- Line a *sheet pan with parchment paper, foil or a silicone mat.
- Toss the sausage and chopped veggies onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and toss (with your hands) to coat everything, evenly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 400° for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- I have successfully used potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, zucchini, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, fresh green beans, corn on the cob, asparagus, yellow squash, carrots and beets, in this recipe. All of them are delicious and there are dozens of different combinations that can be made.
- Potatoes, beets and butternut squash tend to take the longest to cook. Cut them into smaller pieces or start them 15 minutes before everything else. I just cut them into small chunks.
- Zucchini, bell peppers and asparagus cook quickly, so I typically add them during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Toss them with a little oil and salt and pepper before adding them to the sheet tray.
- Beets are scrumptious roasted like this. I put them at one side of the sheet tray, by themselves, to prevent heir gorgeous color from bleeding into the other veggies.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Make Ahead Potential
If you’re a great meal planner and get everything planned for your week’s meals, then go buy the groceries, and come home to prep things ahead.…I want to be you. lol I’ve done it, on occasion, and it’s ALWAYS amazing. I need to be consistent. Anyway, if that’s the way you do things, you’re even further ahead with this meal.
Pre-chopping the veggies and sausage, (the night before or last weekend), dropping them in a zip-top bag with a little oil and salt and pepper, means the only thing for you to do at 5:00 is turn on the oven, pour that bag onto a sheet pan and pop it in the oven. And you, my friend, are a rock star! Again, I aspire to be you. My life is so much easier when I am that consistently organized.
Ingredients to Use in Sheet Pan Sausage and Roasted Veggies
When making Sheet Pan Sausage and Roasted Veggies, I usually buy a pound or two of Beef Smoked Sausage. It comes in rings over near the hotdogs, at my market. Kielbasa, Italian Sausage, even brats would work, too. They could be beef or pork or chicken– spicy or mild. Choose the ones that taste fabulous to your family and then always keep one stashed in your freezer.
On one of those hair-pulling, chaotic weeknights when you need something fast, it’s easy to slice sausages, even frozen. If they give you trouble, one or two minutes in the microwave will have you slicing right through them. It’s one of those items I always like to have on hand.
Switch up the veggies and use your favorites. Clean up what’s already in your fridge or freezer. We have used red or yellow potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, asparagus, fresh green beans or zucchini. I’ve even roasted beets on one side of the *sheet tray. And we mix and match them to fit what we have on hand, at the time. It’s a different delicious meal almost every time you make it. Give Sheet Pan Sausage and Roasted Veggies a try.
How to Serve Sheet Pan Sausage and Roasted Veggies
This tray full of protein and deliciously roasted vegetables is a meal all on it’s own, but we often serve it with biscuits or cornbread. Even the contrast of a crisp, cold, green salad is a delicious complement.
This meal is flavorful, loaded with vitamins and minerals and easy to make. It has dozens of delicious variation possibilities and you can prep it in minutes! The clean-up is a breeze, since everything is done on one pre-lined pan. What’s not to love?
Enjoy a delicious meal with your family, my friend. Then kick your shoes off and have a little “me time”. You deserve it!
Other Quick Supper Ideas
Try my Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe, for another quick and easy weeknight supper.