Without even the slightest hesitation, I can declare Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies to be our family’s all-time favorite Christmas cookie. If you polled them, it wouldn’t just be a wide majority. I believe you would get a 100% affirmative from each of them! They are soft, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookie perfection.
Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies are the first cookies to disappear out of all that I make each year. They’re the ones everybody wants more of. They also happen to be about the easiest cookie I make. What’s better than that?
Wanna know a secret? I make these all year round, not just for Christmas. Yeah…they’re that kind of easy and delicious!
Enjoy, my friend!Print
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 to 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Drop by cookie scoop onto a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. (Cookies will be puffed up and super soft. They will be barely dried on top. I promise, if you want soft, chewy cookies, you need to pull them out, now. Place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack and allow the cookies to set for 3-5 minutes before taking them off the pan. They will lose their puffiness as they settle.)
- To make frosting, beat all ingredients together with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, until a thick creamy frosting has formed.
- Frost completely cooled cookies. You can add sprinkles or decorations if you choose.
- Store in airtight container once frosting has set up.
These freeze extremely well. Put wax paper between the layers if stacking. If freezing, you can frost them, but I would avoid sprinkle decorations as those will bleed as the cookie thaws.
- Category: Desserts, Cookies
- Cuisine: American
How to Make Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies
How to Make Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies
There’s no big secret to these delicious cookies. It’s the basic cookie formula, again. Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is fully incorporated.
Drop them by the cookie-scoopful onto greased or lined cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. The trickiest part of the whole recipe will be figuring out the time for your specific oven. (When I’m figuring that out, I’ll bake one cookie, just to get a feel for how the dough acts in my oven.)
These cookies will puff up in the oven, the tops will have lost their dampness. When you touch it, lightly, with your finger, the top of the cookie will be dry, but you will be able to tell it’s still super soft in the middle. That’s when you pull them out of the oven.
Set the cookie sheet right on your cooling rack for several minutes. The cookies will finish “baking” and setting up. As they cool, they will lose there puffiness and be flatter. The tops may even look a little “wrinkled”. You’ve done everything perfectly. That’s exactly how they should be. After 3 or 4 minutes transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Decorating Frosted Drop Sugar Cookies
When they are completely cool, these scrumptious cookies are soft and chewy. You can get as elaborate or as simple as you want with your decorating. I have done piped decorations, successfully. Typically, I do a simple buttercream frosting with easy sprinkle decorations, though. Actually, I am known to simply frost them and not decorate at all. I promise they disappear just as quickly. However you decide to decorate them, you my friend, are going to get the title of Christmas Cookie Royal Baker when you put these out for friends and family. Yes. Be prepared for Christmas Cookie infamy. It belongs to you, now!
Much love and Merry Christmas!
More Cookie Recipes from the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Event
Here are three more DELISH cookie recipes from our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies blogger event.
- Christmas Sandwich Cookies, from Arlene, at Flour on My Face
- Raspberry Jam Shortbread Cookies, from Lois, at Walking on Sunshine Recipes
- Fat Gingerbread Man Cookies, from Lenny, at Fat Dad Foodie
And, if you’re looking for even more cookie recipes to add to your holiday repertoire, check out my recipe for these yummy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
ENTER THE 12 Days of Christmas Cookies
KITCHENAID MIXER GIVEAWAY
One lucky winner will receive a KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Qt Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield!
FEATURES OF THE KITCHENAID ARTISAN SERIES STAND MIXER
- 10-speed slide control ranges from a very fast whip to a very slow stir
- Includes Flat Beater, Dough Hook and Wire Whip
- Power Hub for Additional Attachments
- Unique Mixing Action
- Assembled with Pride in Greenville, Ohio.Electrical: 60 Hz
- Choose from all the color options to find the one that best matches your style and personality.
- The power hub turns your stand mixer into a culinary center with more than 15 optional attachments available.
- 5-Qt. stainless steel bowl with comfortable handle offers enough capacity to mix dough for 9 dozen cookies or 4 loaves of bread in a single batch.
- 59-Point Planetary Mixing Action means 59 touch points per rotation around the bowl for thorough ingredient incorporation.
- The tilt-head design allows clear access to the bowl and attached beater or accessory so you can easily add ingredients for a recipe.
- Powerful enough for nearly any task or recipe, whether you’re stirring wet and dry ingredients together, kneading bread dough or whipping cream.
- Includes coated flat beater, coated dough hook, 6-wire whip and 1-piece pouring shield. The flat beater and dough hook are dishwasher-safe.
Official Rules and Conditions for the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Giveaway:
- One winner will be receive a KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield (Value $279.00 USD).
- Open to US residents adults 18+.
- One (1) winner will be chosen.
- Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn.
- Prize will be delivered via Amazon.
- All entries will be verified.
- This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, Amazon, KitchenAid or any other entity unless otherwise specified.
- Giveaway ends December 12th, 2019 at midnight.
- Bloggers are not responsible for the delivery of the prize.
ENTER USING THE RAFFLECOPTER FORM, BELOWa Rafflecopter giveaway