Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti will get the whole family gathered from all corners of your world. It is creamy, cheesy pasta goodness and everyone will flip for this simple and delicious casserole.
The rich, creamy cheese sauce is balanced with the acidic tang of stone ground mustard and creamy ranch dressing. And all chicken spaghetti is best when it’s studded with bacon pieces, right? Um yeah…did I mention this is scrumptious?
I love putting this recipe in the meal rotation for weeks when I know I’m going to have a lot of busy days or need to use up some leftovers. Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti can be made ahead, so it’s great for those who love to meal prep. It can be kept in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. And, it can be frozen for 3–4 months. Be sure to thaw it completely before baking.
It also uses mostly pre-prepped ingredients or leftovers, so it comes together quickly. I’ve also provided ingredient alternatives for making Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti gluten free. The gluten free version is just as quick and easy as the standard.
This is a hearty, comfort food winner that will make dinner planning so easy when your time is at a premium. Enjoy, my friend. Have a wonderfully blessed weekend!
- pre-cooked chicken: There are so many great options available for this, now. If you batch cook chicken, like me, you probably already have some in the fridge or freezer. If you don’t, a rotisserie chicken, chicken leftovers from an earlier meal or pre-cooked frozen chicken from the freezer case at your market will definitely work. You could even change the protein to Italian sausage or ground beef crumbles, leftover pulled pork or canned tuna. It’s a versatile recipe. Make it your own.
- 8 oz of dry spaghetti: If you’re using standard ingredients this one is easy. Choose your favorite. If you are making this gluten free, the absolute best gluten free pasta I know is Jovial brown rice pasta. Order from them directly and use Promo Code HELLO2021 for 10% off or subscribe to their newsletter for a 10% off code. Jovial Pasta is also available in some Walmart stores and by ordering online from Walmart. And it is available on Amazon. You may find it in your favorite grocery store, too. I’ve never found another gluten free pasta that works for us and I have tried many. You can’t tell Jovial gluten free pasta from traditional. It’s truly that good.
- canned (or homemade) cream of chicken soup
- extra sharp Cheddar cheese: I just love the flavor of extra sharp Cheddar. You could also use Colby, Colby Jack or even just Monterey Jack.
- cream cheese: This is what puts the extra creamy, cheesy in your Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti.
- bacon pieces: I buy this pre-cooked and crumbled in the salad dressing aisle at the grocery store. Be sure to choose REAL bacon pieces, not imitation. They are usually available in name and store brands.
- ranch dressing: Be sure yours is gluten free, if you need it. Or make your own.
- stone ground mustard: Yellow mustard would probably work, though I haven’t tried it. I prefer the spicy bite and acidity of stone ground mustard in cheese dishes.
You CAN Make It Gluten Free
There isn’t a lot of alteration necessary to make this delicious casserole gluten free for the people you love most. The two ingredients where you need to watch for gluten are the pasta and the cream of chicken soup. Some ranch dressing may sneak in wheat, but I think it is rare. Just check your labels.
Whenever, I cook gluten free pasta, be it for Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti, or any other favorite family dish, I use ONLY Jovial Brown Rice Pasta. I have tested and tried many gluten free pastas. They are inferior in taste and in texture. Nothing comes close to Jovial. And, that’s because it’s nearly impossible to tell it from traditional pasta. It comes in a wide variety of shapes, so you can find something that fits your favorite recipes.
Jovial doesn’t know me from Adam, but I tell everyone about this pasta, because we went so long without being able to find a good gluten free alternative. I’m excited we found the best. And I’m excited that now you have, too!
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup is even on the shelf in my small town Walmart. I can buy both the name brand and the store brand. Both have worked well in my recipes. We are so lucky to live in a time where alternatives are more readily available. Your grocery store probably carries it, too. If not, it’s easy to make at home. Use my recipe.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti and drain.
- While spaghetti is cooking, melt grated cheddar, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, ranch dressing and stone ground mustard over medium heat. Stir to prevent scorching. This will net you a thick and creamy cheese sauce for the casserole.
- Put pre-cooked chicken, spaghetti and bacon into a 9x9 pan and stir together. Cut the spaghetti into smaller lengths if that makes it easier to mix.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the spaghetti mixture and toss to coat every noodle and piece of chicken. When sauce is evenly distributed, bake the Cheesy Chicken Casserole at 350° for 20–30 minutes. The casserole will be bubbling around the edges and heated through.
- Serve with a tossed green salad or your favorite veggie side.
A perfect quick-fix supper for hectic nights! Cheesy pasta with chicken — what’s not to love? The whole family will flip for this delicious casserole. It can be made ahead and kept in fridge or freezer and leftovers heat in the microwave for perfect lunches the next day.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (can use leftovers, rotisserie chicken, etc.)
- 8 oz dry spaghetti (For Gluten Free: Jovial brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup (For Gluten Free: buy gluten free or make your own )
- 1 (8 oz) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups), (Grate your own so it melts properly.)
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
- 3/4 cup bacon pieces (I buy a bag of real bacon pieces in the salad dressing aisle.)
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook and drain spaghetti.
- While spaghetti cooks, make the cheese sauce by adding the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, grated cheese, ranch dressing and mustard to a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often until the cheese is melted and all ingredients have incorporated into a creamy sauce.
- Chop or shred pre-cooked chicken, if it isn’t already done.
- In a 9x9 baking pan, mix spaghetti, bacon pieces and chicken.
- Pour cheese sauce over the spaghetti mixture and stir to thoroughly combine and coat all the ingredients.
- Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Optional: Garnish with thinly sliced green onions or chopped, fresh parsley.
Make ahead. Great for meal prep and for freezer. Keep in fridge for 3 to 4 days before baking. Keep in freezer for 3 — 4 months before baking. When frozen, thaw completely before baking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Casserole
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: casserole, spaghetti, chicken, cheese, bacon
More Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Noodles Recipe
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
- Southwest Chicken
- Perfect Baked Chicken Breasts