The perfect "base" cookie recipe to add to your files. These oatmeal cookies are extraordinary, just on their own. Change them up with your favorite add-ins and really make the recipe your own.
- 1 cup butter, softened (not melted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- Optional mix-ins: 1 cup raisins, chopped nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips or butterscotch chips
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour, oats and baking soda and mix until all ingredients are incorporated and soft dough has formed.
- Stir in mix-ins, if using.
- Scoop onto lightly greased *cookie sheet, spacing cookies 2 across and 4 down to give them room to spread. (I use this #20-sized scoop, which holds just under 3 Tablespoons of dough. This makes a great-sized cookie for a snack. You can make them smaller, if you choose, but you will need to adjust the baking time and of course, will enjoy a larger yield.)
- Bake at 350° for 9 -11 minutes. Cookies will be only lightly browned, but dry on the surface. Edges will be golden.
- Remove baking sheet from oven to a cooling rack and allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing them. That will allow them to set up as they cool.
- Category: Cookies, Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American