Tender savory chicken breasts brushed with barbecue sauce and sprinkled with minced jalapeno and bacon, then crowned with melted Monterey Jack cheese. We top them with diced tomatoes and thinly sliced green onions and I usually serve them with home fries and a green salad. Delish!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, use your family’s favorite
- 1 jalapeno, minced (veins and seeds removed)
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup bacon, fried and finely chopped (I use pre-cooked REAL bacon pieces from the salad dressing and crouton section of the grocery store.)
- 1 large tomato, small diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Pound all 4 chicken breasts to an even 1/2″ thickness. After pounding, cut them in half to make 8 portions.
- Sprinkle both sides of each portion with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat the avocado oil in a *heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken breast portions into the skillet and allow them to brown on that first side for 4-6 minutes. Check occasionally to see if they are getting a nice golden brown caramelization. When they have, flip them over.
- Put a lid on the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and let chicken finish cooking while you prep the rest of the meal. (Start checking the internal temperature after about 6 minutes. You’re looking for 160°. Remember, it will continue to cook as it rests and reach the recommended 165°.)
- Turn off the heat, when the chicken is done.
- Brush each portion with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Sprinkle minced jalapeno and bacon over the barbecue sauce and then top with grated Monterey Jack cheese.
- Put the skillet back on the heat (keep it low) and put a lid on the skillet. Leave it just until the cheese has gotten warm and melty.
- To serve the chicken, top each piece with fresh, diced tomatoes and sliced green onion.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Meat, Main, Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, main dish, monterey