This delicious street food comes home to your kitchen to make a quick and easy dinner. Carne Asada may be the traditional street taco filling, but at our house we make them with lots of different fillings. This shredded beef Mexican Street Tacos recipe is one of our favorites.
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups Mexican Shredded Beef (or leftover roast beef, pot roast or steak)
- 4 Tablespoons Broth from Mexican shredded beef (or beef broth)
- 3 Tablespoons Queso Fresco Cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- Cook the corn tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. 30 to 60 seconds per side is usually more than enough. You want a few darker spots and a little caramelization/char around the edges.
- When both sides are cooked you can place each taco inside a folded kitchen towel to keep them warm and soft. Or you can use my preferred method. I don’t own an outdoor griddle, but I love this taco rack [affiliate link] designed for one. I place each cooked corn tortilla into a spot in the rack. They hold there shape better and they’re so much easier to fill. Plus, because of the silicone handles I can put the whole rack in the oven to rewarm the shells if they get too cool before I fill them. Or I can heat an entire rack of six filled Mexican Street Tacos.
- Add filling to each tortilla, starting with the Mexican Shredded Beef. (If the beef is leftover from the fridge, warm it a few seconds in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove top with the broth.) Add 3 to 4 Tablespoons of warm shredded beef to each cooked corn tortilla.
- Sprinkle (1 teaspoon) of minced red onion over the chicken in each street taco.
- Sprinkle crumbled queso fresco cheese, a few chopped cilantro leaves and add a wedge of lime, next. (Leave the lime squeezing to each individual person, so they get the amount they want.)
- I like to drizzle a little more of the flavorful beef broth from the Mexican shredded beef onto each taco, at the very last.
Serve with Homemade Refried Beans or my 10-Minute Mexican Rice.
Try using flour tortillas and make Shredded Beef Tacos with alternative toppings like: homemade refried beans, black beans, avocado, sliced olives, charred corn, olives, pico de gallo, lettuce, tomato, sour cream or guacamole.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Beef, Main Dish, Mexican
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican American