Easy, one pot, 30 minute hamburger and potato casserole is hearty and delicious. It feeds a crowd on tight budget and there's plenty for seconds or leftovers. Savory, delicious meal!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups hot water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by peeling, and then dicing, the potatoes into 1/2" cubes.
- Slice the carrots into thin rounds and mince the onion.
- Place the ground beef into a stock pot or Dutch oven. (I used my 5 quart pot and it was full to the brim.) and begin cooking it over medium high heat. Stir to break it into crumbles as you go.
- Season the ground beef with 2 teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add the diced onions to the pot and continue cooking over high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the ground beef is cooked and no pink remains.
- Drain the grease from the pan. I use paper towels to soak it up and then just toss them. It saves clogging the drain with grease.
- Add the diced potatoes and sliced carrots to the pot with the drained and cooked ground beef and onions.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Stir to combine the ingredients and continue cooking on medium high heat, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Once the ingredients are sufficiently combined, and the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot with a lid.
- Allow the hash / casserole to cook for 5 minutes. Then remove the lid and give it a stir. If most of the liquid seems to have been absorbed, add the last 1/2 cup of water.
- Put the lid back on the pan and let the mixture cook another 7 to 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Do one final taste test for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Main Dish, Beef Recipes, Casseroles
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American