Ground Beef and Cabbage is humble, hearty and utterly delicious! This easy ground beef and cabbage recipe stretches a pound of hamburger to fill up the whole family. It’s a budget friendly main dish. When simple, tasty comfort food is what you’re craving, this recipe will hit the spot.
- 1 pound ground beef (Choose 80-85% lean ground beef for best flavor.)
- 4 to 5 cups cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 of a large head of cabbage)
- 2 cups chicken broth (Made with 2 cups water and my homemade chicken bouillon powder)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon homemade All Purpose Seasoning (or your favorite brand)
- 1 teaspoon homemade Southwest Seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large stock pot or Dutch oven [affiliate link]. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until no pink remains. Do not drain any fat left in the pan with the browned hamburger.
- Add the All Purpose Seasoning, Southwest Seasoning, minced onion, grated carrot and minced garlic to the pan. Cook one to two minutes over medium high heat, stirring to combine seasonings with the ground beef.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir the flour into the pot. Try to distribute it evenly. Cook and stir until the meat and vegetables have a thin coating of flour.
- Pour in the chicken broth. (You can use store-bought broth, but I just used two cups of hot water and 2 teaspoons of my homemade chicken bouillon powder.)
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the broth has absorbed all the seasonings and has started to thicken just slightly around the ground beef. It won’t be thick like gravy, but will be like a thickened broth.
- Stir in the tomato paste and stir to distribute it evenly.
- Turn the heat back to medium high and add the thinly sliced cabbage. Stir constantly as the cabbage heats. It will begin to release some of its liquid, soften slightly and have a more vibrant green color. Continue cooking until the cabbage is hot and tender crisp.
- Do a final taste before serving and adjust salt and pepper levels if needed.
- Serve the Ground Beef and Cabbage over mashed potatoes or one of the other options suggested, in the post above. I like to do a final garnish of chopped celery leaves and fresh parsley, mixed together. And I add sliced green onions if I have them in the fridge.
Nutrition info is for the Cabbage and Ground Beef recipe only. It DOES NOT include mashed potatoes or whatever other base you decide to serve Ground Beef and Cabbage over.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American