In the world of chicken leftover recipes, my scrumptious Chicken Street Tacos are pretty near perfection. Tender, juicy chicken slices and pieces (not shredded chicken); some crunchy red onion, cilantro, queso fresco and tangy lime juice in a freshly charred corn tortilla. This yummy street taco recipe is delicious proof that dinner in minutes is possible when you cook from planned leftovers!
- 6 corn tortillas (6″ or less)
- 2 cups leftover chicken, thin slices and pieces (Thin slices are more juicy than shredded chicken.)
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1 lg. lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Cook the corn tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. 30 to 60 seconds per side is usually more than enough. You want a few darker spots and a little caramelization/char around the edges.
- When both sides are cooked you can place each taco inside a folded kitchen towel to keep the warm and soft. Or you can use my preferred method. I don’t own an outdoor griddle, but I love this taco rack [affiliate link] designed for one. I place each cooked corn tortilla into a spot in the rack. They hold there shape better and they’re so much easier to fill. Plus, because of the silicone handles I can put the whole rack in the oven to rewarm the shells if they get too cool before I fill them. Or I can heat an entire rack of six filled Chicken Street Tacos.
- Add filling to each tortilla, starting with the chicken. (If the chicken is leftover from the fridge, warm it a few seconds in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove top.) Add around 1/3 cup of sliced chicken pieces to each corn tortilla.
- Sprinkle (1 teaspoon) of minced red onion over the chicken in each street taco.
- Sprinkle crumbled queso fresco cheese, a few chopped cilantro leaves and a wedge of lime, next. (Leave the lime squeezing to each individual person, so they get the amount they want.)
Serve with Homemade Refried Beans or Mexican Rice. A big slice of watermelon makes a great side for spicy Chicken Street Tacos, too!
Try alternative toppings like: homemade refried beans, black beans, charred corn, olives, pico de gallo or even lettuce and tomato.
Sub in beef, pork or even fish for the chicken. Use chicken thighs, shredded chicken or grilled chicken. ( I do think that shredded chicken tends to be more dry and stringy. Prepare it carefully to get juicy results.)
Get creative and make the tacos your own.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Chicken, Main Dish, Mexican
- Method: stove top and/or microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican American