A hearty, satisfying meal in one comfort food bowl! Everything you love about Chicken Pot Pie without the extra work of pie crust. You can whip this up quickly, even on busy weeknights. It's sure to become a family favorite!
- 1 large red onion
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil ( I use avocado oil.)
- 4 large pre-cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (around 3 lbs)
- 3 lbs of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 lb carrots, sliced into 1/8" thick rounds
- 1 qt (4 cups) chicken stock
- 3 cups alternative milk or dairy milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons Better than Bouillon Chicken Base (or your *favorite gluten-free bouillon), to taste
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" cubes.
- Slice the carrots into 1/8" rounds.
- Shred or chop pre-cooked chicken.
- Mince the onion and saute it in the cooking oil, in a deep stock pot, for 3 or 4 minutes until it begins to soften and be aromatic.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and carrots.
- Pour the chicken stock and the milk of your choice into the pan over the vegetables.
- Stir in the bouillon, minced garlic, bay leaves and poultry seasoning.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to medium heat. You may want to stir occasionally as the pot comes to a boil to make sure nothing is sticking.
- Allow the mixture to cook over medium heat until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Whisk the arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) into the 1/2 cup of cold water. Pour the slurry into the soup pot and stir to combine.
- The soup will begin to thicken in just a minute or two.
- Shut off the heat and stir in the frozen peas. The heat of the soup will be enough to warm them and they will retain their bright green color.
- Serve with biscuits, puff pastry sticks or even a green salad on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup, Chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, pot pie, chicken