- 3–4 large baked potatoes, grated (enough for 4 cups)
- 1 lb. homemade sausage (or commercial sausage)
- 18 eggs
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1–2 cups fresh spinach, minced (according to family preference)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 350° and greasing a *9×13 pan.
- Crumble and brown the ground sausage in a skillet. Drain off the grease and crumble any bigger clumps, so your crumbles are all fairly uniform in size.
- Next, grate your baked potatoes. You don’t even need to remove the skins. They will come away on their own as you’re grating. Plus, if a little baked potato skin gets grated into the mix, that’s tasty, too. I use a *4-sided box grater. It’s so much easier to handle and balance on the counter or cutting board, than a flat grater and I get the benefit of all the different grate sizes. It’s another one of those everyday kitchen tools that was a great investment for me.
- Add the potatoes to the bottom of your prepared baking pan. Spread them out in an even layer. I salt and pepper this layer. If you are restricting salt, then certainly, adjust to your own tastes and dietary needs.
- Drizzle them with the melted butter.
- Mix together the browned sausage, onions, spinach, and garlic.
- Once the ingredients in the sausage layer are evenly combined, pour them over the potato layer in your baking pan.
- Beat the eggs until they are golden and fluffy. I add salt and pepper to the raw egg mixture. Season it to your own tastes.
- Stir the grated cheese into the beaten eggs.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the sausage layer.
- You may need to redistribute some of the cheese after everything is poured out. And that’s it. It really IS that simple. Your Breakfast Casserole is ready to bake.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes, until the eggs are firmly set and the cheese is golden brown and crispy on top.
- Cut the Breakfast Casserole into squares and serve.
- Category: Breakfast, Eggs, Main Dish
- Cuisine: American