Best Baked Bean Casserole (Baked Beans with Hamburger), aka Cowboy Beans or Calico Beans, takes the ultimate baked beans and makes them a full meal by adding ground beef and bacon! Comfort food heaven! Such an easy and satisfying recipe.
- 2 lbs. ground beef (I use 85/15)
- 1 lg. red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (15-oz cans) beans, rinsed and drained (Mix and match what you have. Black beans, red beans, cannellini, Great Northern, chickpeas, or pork & beans all work well.)
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, drained and broken into 1-inch pieces
- Cook the bacon. I bake mine in the oven, but use your preferred method. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mince the onions, garlic and bell peppers.
- Brown the ground beef, onions, peppers and garlic in a very large pan or a stock pot while the bacon cooks.
- Continue cooking until the beef is cooked through (no pink remains). Drain the beef mixture and add it back to the pan.
- Add the beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the mixture. Simmer it all together for 5 minutes. Pour the baked beans with hamburger mixture into your prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cooked and drained bacon pieces over the top of the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let dish sit for 10 minutes before serving your baked beans with hamburger (Baked Bean Casserole).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Casserole
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American