If you're looking for a deliciously satisfying, quick and easy chicken casserole recipe, rasta pasta is exactly what you're craving! Al dente rigatoni pasta holding scrumptious creamy sauce in its every nook and cranny, co-stars with the succulent jerk chicken in this taste bud tantalizing rasta pasta. Throw in savory onions and garlic with a tender crisp veggie crunch from sweet bell peppers. Now, wrap it all in a mildly spicy, herby and luscious cream sauce. An easy, winning chicken dinner. Cook time and prep time together are 30 minutes or less!
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) dry rigatoni pasta (or favorite pasta shape)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, (2 to 3 breasts)
- 3 Tablespoons jerk seasoning, divided (see my recipe in notes or buy your favorite store brand)
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons homemade chicken bouillon (or favorite store brand)
- 1 cup Parmesan, shredded (Grate your own for best flavor.)
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- optional: fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta (to al dente) according to package directions.
- Dice the bell peppers and thinly slice green onions, while the pasta cooks.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss the chicken chunks with the jerk seasoning and stir until all the chicken is coated.
- In Dutch oven or heavy bottomed stock pot, heat 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken pieces to the hot oil in the pot. Continue cooking until there is no pink in the center, juices run clear and an internal temp of 160° has been reached. Because the pieces are small, mine took 5 minutes or less.
- Remove chicken from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the last Tablespoon of avocado oil to the pot. Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute. Stir continuously so the garlic doesn't burn. There will be browned bits on the bottom of the pan, but it should not be burned. Keep the heat no higher than medium for this step.
- Now, dissolve the chicken bouillon in the water. Add it to the pot with the onions to deglaze the pan. When you add it the browned bits on the bottom will soften and loosen and you can stir all that flavor into your sauce.
- Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese to the Dutch oven. Stir until fully combined and thickened somewhat. Heat should still be at medium or medium low.
- Next add the chicken, and then, the cooked pasta to the sauce in the pot.
- Stir in the green onions and thin bell pepper strips. Stir them in and they will cook from residual heat. (If you want your peppers soft, instead of tender-crisp, saute them with the onions in step 8.)
- Stir until everything is fully coated in the flavorful sauce. The dish will be creamy, but there is not an excess of sauce. There is just enough to coat all the pasta and chicken in a delicious creamy glaze.
- Serve your creamy pasta garnished with more green onion slices and chopped parsley, if desired.
Jerk Seasoning Recipe - yield 1 cup
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper powder
- 1 Tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Entree, Chicken, Pasta, Casserole
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Jamaican-American