To cook the Beans:
- 2 cups dry Great Northern Beans (Cannelini or Navy Beans would also work.)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 poblano peppers, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 1 small (or 1/2 a large) jalapeno, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, any color, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 Tablespoons butter
To finish the Chili:
- 4 pre-cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, cut into 1" chunks
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional garnish ideas: grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro or parsley, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Peel and quarter the onion.
- Remove seeds from poblanos and jalapeno.
- Mince the garlic.
- Add the poblanos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, avocado oil, cumin and oregano to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse to start breaking down the vegetables and continue on high until a veggie/herb slurry is formed. You want the vegetables chopped down to a fine mince.
- Rinse the dry beans to remove dust and give them a quick check to remove any bad beans, pebbles or debris that may have gotten into the bag.
- Add the dry beans to the stainless steel pan/liner of an 8-quart Instant Pot.
- Scrape in the vegetables you chopped in the food processor.
- Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, chicken base and butter.
- Seal the lid on your Instant Pot and make sure the pressure valve is closed.
- Select Pressure Cook (or Manual, depending on your model) and set the timer for 30 minutes. Push the Start button.
- When the Instant Pot timer goes off in 30 minutes, allow a natural pressure release for 15-20 minutes. Then, carefully release any remaining pressure and remove the Instant Pot lid.
- Select the Saute button on your Instant Pot and hit Start.
- Give everything a good stir and remove the bay leaf. Your beans should be fully cooked and there will still be broth in the pot.
- Add the diced chicken breasts, frozen corn and cream cheese to the Instant Pot. Stir occasionally over the next couple of minutes as the cream cheese melts and chicken and corn cook through.
- Taste the chili and make sure the seasoning is good. Add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Soup, Main Dish, Chicken
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican-American