Pineapple Salsa is simple, tangy and bright. The juicy pineapple & veggies are perfect to lighten & complement any meal. Kid-friendly! Whether you serve it as a side or salad, a condiment or alongside crunchy tortilla chips for a snack, this recipe will be a family favorite.
- 2 (20 oz.) cans pineapple tidbits, drained (juice reserved)
- 1 English cucumber or 3 mini cucumbers, diced small
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/2 Poblano pepper, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 limes, juice and zest (1/4 to 1/3 cup of juice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice if you’re using canned. If using fresh, peel, core and small dice the pineapple. Set aside. (That pineapple juice is delicious to drink or to cook rice in. Don’t just throw it out.)
- Small dice the cucumbers and bell pepper.
- Mince the poblano pepper and red onion.
- Mince garlic and chop the parsley.
- Zest limes and then juice them.
- Combine the drained pineapple, cucumbers, bell peppers, onion, poblano, parsley, lime zest and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Add salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite Mexican-inspired dishes. Perfect as a garnish for many main dish proteins.
Possible Pineapple Salsa Recipe Variations
- Use a different color of bell pepper. I chose red for the color, but any bell pepper should work. You could even use a combination of colors.
- If you don’t have cucumbers, try using a zucchini instead. The flavor is more subtle, but you’d be surprised how well raw zucchini works in salsa.
- You could change the fruit. Or you could add to the pineapple. Mango and pineapple are beautiful together. Fresh peaches make crazy good salsa.
- Use lemon juice and zest instead of lime.
- And we’ve already talked about subbing in different hot peppers. For spicier, I would sub jalapeno for the poblano. If going hotter, I recommend doing your due diligence and knowing the heat level of the peppers you select. Use an amount that balances well with your other ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Category: Appetizer, Condiment, Salad
- Method: Cold Prep
- Cuisine: American