Lentils and Rice Casserole is an inexpensive, meatless meal that is a powerhouse of protein and other nutrients. 5 minutes of prep time and your oven does all the rest.
We serve it with sour cream and chopped tomatoes as toppings, but it is delicious plain, too. Mix up your family's favorite toppings or garnish and customize your own.
Lentils and Rice Casserole also makes an excellent burrito filling.
Serve this with steamed broccoli or creamy coleslaw and a wonderful, warm piece of crusty bread and it is a satisfying, comfort food meal. Yum!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups French Green Lentils (Can substitute brown or green lentils, but texture will be different. Red lentils are not suitable for this recipe.)
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Spike Seasoning (or 1 Tablespoon Homemade All Purpose Seasoning + 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or bone broth
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream, optional
- quartered cherry tomatoes, optional
- Mix all ingredients, except the cheese, in a 3 qt. baking dish that has an oven proof lid. If your dish doesn’t have a lid, you will need foil to seal it tightly, when baking.
- Stir to mix and allow seasonings to distribute through the broth.
- Put the lid (or foil tightly sealed) on the baking dish.
- Bake in 300° oven for 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and chicken stock is fully absorbed.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Remove from oven and serve.
We serve this with sour cream and chopped tomatoes as toppings, but it is delicious plain, too. It also makes an excellent burrito filling. Serve this with steamed broccoli or creamy coleslaw and a wonderful, warm piece of crusty bread and it is a satisfying, comfort food meal. Yum!