Italian Sausage Egg Casserole is simple, but extraordinarily flavorful and cheesy. The simple trio of aromatics, onion, peppers and garlic, mingled with the seasonings from the sausage provide a delicious balance of savoriness. The fried potatoes on the bottom add wonderful texture to the fluffy, tender eggs.
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large baking potato (or 2 medium), peeled and grated
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. Colby Jack or sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown sausage with onions, peppers and garlic over medium heat. Break into small crumbles as it cooks.
- When sausage is done, move it and the cooked veggies to a bowl, leaving any rendered fat in the bottom of your skillet. That fat is full of flavor.
- Add ¼ cup (half a stick) of butter to the fat in the skillet and melt it over medium high heat.
- Add the grated potato to the skillet, spreading it in a thin even layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue cooking over medium high heat until the potatoes are crisp and brown on the bottom.
- Use a turner and flip the potatoes over, in sections. Spread them out in the skillet, again, so you have an even layer. Continue cooking on medium high heat for two minutes.
- Add the sausage and veggies back to the skillet in an even layer.
- Whisk the eggs and milk and add a little salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Cut into 12 wedges and serve.
I love a dollop of sour cream with some chopped tomatoes and green onion with my frittata. It’s also perfect served with Homemade Biscuits, pancakes or waffles. Add a green salad and some fruit and you’ll have a balanced and over-the-top delicious breakfast, brunch or breakfast-for-dinner menu.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American