Beefy, salty and smoky snacking goodness. It has a peppery bite which you control by how much pepper you add. Perfect on charcuterie boards or meat and cheese platters. A great appetizer or snack that is so simple and affordable. A great value no matter how you slice it and everyone will want your recipe. Plus, it's naturally gluten free.
- 2 lbs med. lean ground beef (80-85%)
- 2 Tablespoons Morton Tender Quick Salt ( or curing salt of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 - 3 teaspoons coarse ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients and make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture in half and roll each half into a log 6 or 7 inches long.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for 24 hours to let the curing salt do its magic.
- Unwrap the logs and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 hours at 275°.
- Cool and then refrigerate.
- Slice and serve as desired.
No need to order summer sausage from Hickory Farms. Create your own fabulous gift boxes and baskets at the holidays. Combine this homemade summer sausage with jars of homemade mustard, jams, crackers and your favorite cheeses. Stick in some shortbread cookies or homemade candy. Add a pretty wooden cutting board and your beautiful gift is complete. It will taste so much better and mean so much more because it came from your own kitchen.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Appetizer, Snack, Beef
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American