These scrumptious egg rolls are crispy and delicious and they're baked in the oven! They use your deliciously seasoned leftover pork (or you could brown up ground pork) with bagged coleslaw mix to create a perfect appetizer, side or main dish. Keep them on hand in the freezer for quick use in the future. (Freezing instructions in Notes.)
- 2 cups leftover pork loin, minced fine (You could brown up 1 lb of ground pork if you don't have leftovers.)
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 12 - 15 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for brushing egg rolls before baking
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and set out a cookie sheet to bake the egg rolls on.
- Add all ingredients, except egg and oil to microwave safe bowl. Cook on full power for 3 minutes then remove and use to fill egg roll wrappers.
Lay out your egg roll wrappers on the diagonal, like a diamond.
Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the pork loin/cabbage filling onto each wrapper. Arrange it in a line, just below the center of the wrapper. The line should run horizontally across the "diamond", from corner to corner, leaving about 1" of empty space on each side.
- Now fold the bottom corner up, to cover the filling.
- Next fold in the two side corners.
- Use the beaten egg to brush the remaining top triangle of the envelope shape you've created. Finish rolling the egg roll. The egg coated top will seal itself to the egg roll.
- As you complete each egg roll brush it with oil, being sure to cover all sides. Lay the egg roll on a cookie sheet and repeat to roll all the others.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 425° F. Egg rolls will be golden brown and crispy when done.
How to Freeze and Reheat Egg Rolls
If you’re making a double or triple batch so you can freeze some for later, you’re my kind of home cook! To freeze egg rolls that haven’t been baked, stop after Instruction 7 in the recipe. Don’t brush them with oil before freezing. It will be hard to keep them from sticking together, if you do.
Place the rolled egg rolls on a parchment or waxed paper lined cookie sheet. They can be close together, but shouldn’t be touching.
Seal the entire sheet of egg rolls with plastic wrap and set the tray in the freezer for 1 — 2 hours. You want the egg rolls frozen solid. Now you can bring your cookie sheet back to the kitchen. Place the individually frozen egg rolls in a zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
This method is nice because you can pull out the exact number of egg rolls you want, reseal the bag and pop it back in the freezer.
To cook from frozen, brush the outsides of the egg rolls with avocado oil. Bake at 425° for about 30 minutes, until the egg rolls are golden brown, crisp and hot all the way through.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Main Dish, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: pork loin, egg roll