My creamy hummus recipe is 5-minute-simple, savory, lusciousness. You'll wonder why you EVER bought hummus in the store. Up your snacking game with hummus and veggies, crackers, pita chips, etc. And, enjoy creamy hummus in other recipes, too, like my Gyro Pizzas. You're gonna love it!
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drain, but reserve the liquid
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest, (1/4 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup tahini, well stirred
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 3-6 Tablespoons ice cold water, depending on thickness you prefer
- optional garnish, minced fresh parsley, sprinkle of paprika or sumac, drizzle of olive oil
- If you don't have a high-speed blender/ food processor, begin by placing drained chickpeas and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a pan. Cover the beans with cool water letting the level rise several inches above the chick peas. Boil for 20 minutes until beans are very soft. Follow the recipe as written, from Step 4.
- If you do have a high speed blender/ food processor, you can follow my quick and easy example and just throw ALL the ingredients, except water, into the appliance.
- Always start with just 3 Tablespoons of ice water, first, and then add more, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until you reach the consistency you like best in your creamy hummus. I prefer mine thicker than some, but you may use the full 6 Tablespoons before yours is just right.
- Alternate Option: For the ultimate lush and creamy hummus, blend your ingredients in a very specific order. Start with the lemon juice, tahini, and roasted garlic, first. Blend them in the food processor until they are smooth.
- Then, add 3 Tablespoons of icy cold water and blend, blend, blend. The tahini mixture will get light and fluffy and may even become a lighter color.
- Next, add the chickpeas and other ingredients from your creamy hummus recipe. Continue blending, adding additional water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Snacks, Dips, Condiments
- Method: Cold Prep
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern/ Mediterranean