A quick and easy bean soup, loaded with veggies and savory, comfort-food flavor! This one's a keeper that the whole family will love!
- 5 cans (15.5 oz) beans, drained and rinsed (I use 3 Great Northern, 1 black and 1 red. Cannellini or kidney would work as well.)
- 2 (12 oz) packages of rope or link sausage, (I use Beef Smoked Sausage Ropes, but choose the one your family likes best.)
- 2 Tablespoons of avocado or olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced fine
- 3 carrots, minced fine
- 2 celery stalks, minced fine
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional, chicken bouillon, to taste
- optional, 1 cup heavy cream
- optional garnish, minced parsley or kale
- Cut the sausages into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat the oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced sausage in an even layer on the bottom of the pot. Allow it to cook without disturbing it for 3-5 minutes -- long enough to caramelize one side of the slices.
- While the sausage is cooking, mince the carrots, onions and celery.
- Stir the vegetables and minced garlic to the stock pot with the sausage and give them 5 minutes to begin to soften.
- After 5 minutes, add the chicken stock, beans, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. If your chicken stock is high-quality and flavorful nothing else will be necessary. Stir everything together and give it a taste. If you think it needs extra oomph, you can add chicken bouillon to the stock. (I like the Better than Bouillon brand.)
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, your soup will be flavorful and ready to serve. At that point I like to add 1 cup of heavy cream. It gives the broth a rich, creamy consistency, but is completely optional.
- Garnish with minced parsley or kale, if you like.
- Serve with homemade biscuits for a scrumptious meal.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American