Light, spicy, citrus-y comforting chicken soup. This wonderful soup is so satisfying without being heavy and you can adjust the heat by using fewer jalapenos. As written, the recipe is spicy and perfect for soothing allergy and autumn cold sniffles. If you're sensitive to spicy kicks, I would start with just 2 jalapenos. Delicious!
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 4 jalapenos, sliced into thin rings
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 3 breasts)
- 10 oz pkg cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1-3 avocados, pitted and cut into thin slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice the corn tortillas into thin strips. Scatter them in a single layer across a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack when they are just beginning to crisp up. They may begin to lightly brown, but you don't want them dark. They will continue to crisp up as they cool.
- Mince the onion and slice jalapenos into thin rings. Remember you can adjust the heat of your soup by choosing how many jalapenos to add. Take proper precautions when working with jalapenos. NEVER touch your eyes or face. Thoroughly wash hands to remove any juice from the jalapeno before moving ahead.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and mince the cilantro. Set about 1/3 of the chopped cilantro aside to use as garnish when the soup is done.
- Pit and slice the avocados into thin strips. Sprinkle with a little lime juice and salt. The number you will use depends on how many you will be serving. I usually prep 1/2 avocado per person.
- Now, that all the other chopping is done, slice each chicken breast in half HORIZONTALLY, to create two thin portions of chicken. Then cut those pieces into thin strips.
- To start the soup, add the oil, minced onions, garlic and jalapeno to a *5 or 6 qt. stock pot and brown over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Onions won't be completely caramelized but will be starting to be more translucent.
- Add the strips of chicken, halved cherry tomatoes, and cilantro to the pot.
- Pour the chicken stock and lime juice over everything. Stir to combine.
- Add about a teaspoon of pepper. You can add salt, but I would wait until nearer the end after you've had a chance to taste and be sure it needs extra seasoning.
- Cook over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes until chicken strips are cooked through.
- Serve the soup with slices of avocado and the corn tortilla strips that you baked.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: soup, chicken, lime, avocado, jalapeno