You only need about 15 minutes to prep this scrumptious and beautiful coleslaw. It will need to marinate for at least 4 hours, but as with most marinated vegetables is at its premium best after being in the fridge overnight. Perfect for picnics, barbecues and summer gatherings.
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 a medium red cabbage, shredded or cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, halved & then thinly sliced
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup of avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley (or 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley)
- 2 teaspoons of celery seed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and remove the core in one half. Store the other half in the fridge for a future recipe.
- Lay the cored cabbage half, flat side down, on a cutting board. Cut the cabbage in very thin slices. Then turn the board and cut through the slices the other way, cutting them into thirds or fourths, so they are more bite-sized pieces.
- Peel the beet. Discard the peels and grate the beet on the largest holes side of your box grater.
- Slice the onion in half and store one half for later use. Place the flat side of the other onion down and then cut it into thin slices. Separate the slices into individual strips.
- Cut the radishes into thin slices and then halve them.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper and cut it in half. Wrap the other half and store in the fridge for another recipe. Cut the bell pepper half into thins strips and then halve them to make them more bite-size.
- Add the radishes and bell peppers to the salad bowl with your other veggies.
- Make the dressing by placing all dressing ingredients into a mason jar. Cover tightly and shake until ingredients are blended.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to coat all the veggies.
- Store the coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge to allow the vegetables to marinate. Overnight marinating will yield the best flavor, but a minimum of 4 hours is absolutely necessary.
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Marinated
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cole slaw, slaw, cabbage, beets, radishes, red onion, red bell pepper, salad