Homemade Vanilla Extract will put you off of ever buying it in the store, again. The deep, rich flavor is unmatched!
- 12 Grade A Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans
- 4 cups vodka (least expensive you can find)
- 8 (4 oz) *amber bottles with lids
- Slice vanilla beans open, lengthwise. Then slice in half or thirds to get them to fit your bottles, if necessary.
- Place 1 1/2 beans in each of eight (4 oz) bottles.
- Pour 1/2 cup vodka over the beans in each bottle.
- Tighten lids on bottles and tuck away in a cool dark cabinet to “ripen”. Let the vanilla set at least 2 months. The flavor will be deeper and richer the longer you let it sit. A good way for me to know when I need to make the next batch is to start a new batch when I hit the half-way point on the last batch.
If you make this for your own personal use, and not for gifting, you can certainly use one large bottle and place all the beans into it. Since I bake often, that’s exactly what I do for my own kitchen.
- Category: Seasoning