This recipe makes enough icing to make a generous layer over a 9×13 cake, if you’re leaving it in the pan. If you plan to make a layer cake, I would recommend making a double batch.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 ½ cups cocoa
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1/2–3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cocoa powder to melted butter and stir to form a thick paste.
- Transfer cocoa/butter mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer and add milk, vanilla and powdered sugar. (Start with only 1/2 cup milk. Mix it all together and then decide if you need more . If you think you do, add a Tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.)
- Beat until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Frosting will be thick, but seem looser than you might expect. You can add more powdered sugar to get your desired consistency, but this frosting will get firmer as it sits in the fridge, so resist the urge to add more than you need. The pictures above are a good gauge of the consistency we like and it gets quite firm as it sets up.
- Spread frosting over a 9×13 cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Category: Frosting, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: frosting, chocolate