For the Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 large lemon, cut into slices
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
For the Seasoning Blend:
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme (powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix up the seasoning blend.
- Cover a baking sheet in foil.
- Slice the onions and lemon and arrange in a single layer in the center of the baking sheet.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the open cavity in the chicken. Set them aside for later use.
- Spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken on baking sheet, over the onion and lemon slices.
- Loosen skin over entire bird. This is simple. You don’t want to take it off, just loosen it, all over, so you can get seasoning to the meat. Slide your fingers under the skin near the bottom edge of the chicken and work your way up. After that you will be able to reach and loosen it over the thighs and part of the leg.
- Rub a third to half of the avocado oil under the skin, over the entire surface of the chicken.
- Rub the remaining avocado oil on top of the skin, covering entire surface.
- Take the minced garlic and spread it out under the skin, over the entire surface of the bird. Garlic will burn, and taste bitter, if you put it on top of the skin, so put all of it underneath.
- Now, take your seasoning blend, using a third to half of it, and rub it into the entire surface of the bird under the skin.
- Use the remaining seasoning to rub it on top of the skin. Cover every inch. Get under the wings and legs, too.
- Roast the chicken at 425° for 55-65 minutes, until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast and thigh is 165°. Be sure not to let your meat thermometer touch bone when checking the temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This chicken makes a very elegant presentation cut into quarters, by removing the thigh and leg, as one portion, from each side of the bird and then splitting the breast section down the center, leaving the wing attached. It can also be easily cut into 8 pieces by removing the thigh leg portions and cutting those at the joint to get individual legs and thighs. Then remove the wings and finally, cut the breast in two halves.
- Category: Main Dish, Meat, Chicken
- Cuisine: American