Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken is simple, savory baked chicken breasts smothered in creamy gravy. Baby spinach adds brilliant contrasts of color and herbaceous, fresh flavor while the bright, tangy pops of artichoke hearts are the perfect complement to the luscious, satiny sauce.
It’s easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner and special enough to serve to company. It’s also a Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free recipe that everyone at your table will happily devour, regardless of dietary restrictions.
I’ll tell you my secret for getting Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken on the table even faster. I batch cook chicken breasts once a week and have them already prepped in the fridge and freezer. This easy recipe is perfect to make on the day I am doing that.
If you have already pre-cooked chicken in the fridge, you will shave valuable time off the prep of this delectable dish and be able to make it in even less than 30 minutes! Simply add the pre-cooked chicken to the sauce and heat it through in just minutes.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts (To use pre-cooked chicken from the fridge, see the Notes on the recipe card .)
- all purpose seasoning (My homemade recipe is what I use. Just be sure the one you choose is gluten-free.)
- avocado oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- minced garlic
- a red onion
- full-fat canned coconut milk (Boxed or refrigerated stuff will not work.)
- lemon juice
- arrowroot starch (cornstarch could be substituted)
- canned artichoke hearts
- red pepper flakes
- fresh baby spinach (Larger spinach leaves are great for salad, but can become bitter when cooked, so opt for baby spinach leaves.)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Serving Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken
Our favorite way to eat this luscious chicken is with a baked sweet potato and a green salad. The Spinach Artichoke Sauce is as delicious on the sweet potato as on the chicken. The savory brightness of the chicken and creamy sauce balance the natural sweetness of the potato. It’s a scrumptious flavor experience you do not want to miss!
You could also serve Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken with brown rice, quinoa, baked potatoes, or even roasted vegetables. Each of those could still fit within the gluten-free guidelines and make a delicious dinner!
Your entire family and all your dinner guests will rave over your cooking skills when they taste this delectable Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken. Enjoy your time in the limelight, my friend! No need to tell them how easy it was to prepare.Print
For the chicken:
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally to make 6 portions (If your chicken breasts are small use six and don’t slice them.)
- 2 Tablespoons Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning (*SEE NOTE), or use your favorite store brand seasoning
For the sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium to large red onion, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 (13.66 oz) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach (around 3 oz)
For the Chicken: (See notes if using pre-cooked chicken.)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- If you don’t have any prepared, make a quick batch of Best Homemade All Purpose Seasoning. See recipe *in notes for a batch that is just enough for this recipe. To make a full batch, follow this link. (Or you can use your favorite store brand all purpose seasoning.)
- Large chicken breasts should be sliced in half, horizontally, to create two ½” thick portions. If your chicken breasts are small, simply use them as they are, pounding out the thickest end to about ½”.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with all purpose seasoning.
- Place seasoned chicken breasts on a *rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the chicken for 15–20 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the thickest portion reads 160°.
- Use the instructions below to prepare the sauce during the last 5 minutes of the chicken cooking time.
- Remove chicken from oven and add each piece to the skillet with your creamy spinach artichoke sauce.
For the Sauce:
- During the last 5 minutes of the chicken cooking time, heat 1 Tablespoon avocado oil in a *cast iron skillet.
- Add garlic and onions, and sauté over medium heat for 1–2 minutes, until the onion is softening and becoming more translucent.
- Whisk the arrowroot into the cold chicken broth.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the skillet.
- Whisk everything together as it begins to heat.
- Simmer for 2–3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the drained and chopped artichoke hearts and the fresh spinach.
- Return the chicken to the skillet to warm through and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Mix together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined and use to season the chicken.
***Using Pre-cooked Chicken*** (If you are using pre-cooked chicken breasts from the fridge, place them on a plate and allow them to come to room temperature while you prepare the sauce.)
- Category: Main, Meat, Chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, artichokes, spinach, gluten-free, dairy-free