One of the simplest and most flavorful Sloppy Joes I’ve ever eaten! Common pantry ingredients and a quick cooking time makes this a hero dish for weeknight dinners. Savory, sweet, salty and spicy all in one delicious bite.
For the Beef:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard ( or yellow mustard)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder (or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- Add ground beef, onion, garlic and all-purpose seasoning to a cast iron skillet and stir to combine.
- Cook the beef mixture over medium heat until no pink remains and the meat is cooked through. Stir and break up the meat as it cooks to get small crumbles.
- Drain off fat from meat. Set meat aside.
- In the same skillet, stir together remaining ingredient.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the ground beef back to the skillet and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the mixture is hot through and has thickened up a bit.
- Serve on buns.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dish, Beef, Sandwiches
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef, sloppy joes, sandwiches